PDA

View Full Version : Kessil A150W's, or Reefbreeder Value's...

Dissy
08/18/2013, 07:24 PM
....and why?

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 07:48 PM
Depends what you're using them for, give us details on the tank

Dissy
08/18/2013, 07:55 PM
Depends what you're using them for, give us details on the tank

55 gallon FOWLR, with maybe some corals later on. Likely softies, and an anemone or two..

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 07:56 PM
55 gallon FOWLR, with maybe some corals later on. Likely softies, and an anemone or two..

Okay and what's your budget?

Dissy
08/18/2013, 08:16 PM
Okay and what's your budget?

That depends on whether you ask me, or my husband (I'm sure he would prefer to just use a lightbulb). :D

I'm pretty much settled on either of these two.. I know Kessils are more, and I'll need two, but they hang "cleaner" (no cords draped down where you can see them because they're wound around goosenecks, and I've already painted the back of my tank). Reefbreeders come highly recommended, and if I read right, are more controllable, and user friendly in addition to being cheaper - but there's the big box floating above the tank, and two cords that hang down the wall, and wires coming out of my ceiling, etc...

The tank will be in my livingroom, so I'd prefer to keep it as uncluttered with cords, as possible. Bad enough I have a HOB skimmer I'll be putting on it.

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 08:22 PM
There are two things about kessils that are downsides, not controllable and not full spectrum! I'd go with reefbreeders, they cover more of an area. Are photon 16s out of the question?

Dissy
08/18/2013, 08:25 PM
There are two things about kessils that are downsides, not controllable and not full spectrum! I'd go with reefbreeders, they cover more of an area. Are photon 16s out of the question?

Not necessarily - just never heard much about them, and I don't know diddly about lighting - other than now, all of my tanks were FW, and I needed light to see my fish.. If I remember right they're in the price range of the two Kessils, tho.

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 08:27 PM
Yes they are however they are fully controllable, they have three channels, one for whites reds green and yellow, one for blue and purple and one for moonlights, each can be dimmed from 0-100% and you can set up a timer for each channel to come on at different times and to slowly ramp up in intensity

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 08:27 PM
This way you can set up them to slowly come on and slowly go off like the natural sunrise and sunset

ezhoops
08/18/2013, 08:33 PM
can you give a link to photon 16's

Rarend99
08/18/2013, 08:42 PM
http://reefbreeders.com/it2040.html

moondoggy4
08/18/2013, 09:14 PM
Kessils's were the low cost provider of a good quality Led lights, they have a huge fan base but the advancement is quick and furious and they are being replaced by the Reef Breeders, ( if) the RB (start) to have some serious problems they will be over ran also. The problem with Leds is they are costly on wide tanks.

that Fish Guy
08/19/2013, 12:50 AM
Kessils's were the low cost provider of a good quality Led lights, they have a huge fan base but the advancement is quick and furious and they are being replaced by the Reef Breeders, ( if) the RB (start) to have some serious problems they will be over ran also. The problem with Leds is they are costly on wide tanks.

Replaced by Reef Breeders?

I don't think so.

Anyways there are a ton of LED's (like dozens of brands unlike T5 were there are only a couple of brands).

Yes, many will go out of business.

If anything Reef Breeders will go out of business not Kessil.

The reason people get Reef Breeders is because they are Cheap (not much more than DIY fixtures).

As the big brand LED's drop their prices Reef Builders will loose more and more market share to the sleek, much nicer looking, and much more feature filled big name LED's.

They are two very different LED's.

For a 55 you would need two A350's or two A360's.

A150's are not going to cut it.

They are perfect for Bio-Cubes but that is about it.

I tried 3 A150's on my 55 Gallon and it looked absolutely terrible.

They aquarium was very dark and dim.

LuchoTocado
08/19/2013, 01:50 AM
I know you didnt list them on the poll but since you are considering them now, I would say the photon 16 are the best choice and a very decent price

Quik Z06
08/19/2013, 03:39 AM
I have 2 Kessils A150 and on order the Everglow (reefkeeper lights) from a killer GB. I can't wait for it to come in, fully programmable, wide spectrum and IMO just seems like its going to be better PAR wise.

MrIcky
08/19/2013, 10:56 AM
I've owned both. For what you are trying to do, the answer is more aesthetic than anything else as both will grow "55 gallon FOWLR, with maybe some corals later on. Likely softies, and an anemone or two.." assuming by anemone you mean something like a BTA instead of a carpet anemone.

Pro's for Kessil:

Point source lighting.
Mounting options.
Small footprint.
More elegant look.

Negatives for Kessil:

Point source lighting.
Only control is height and on/off
Not as high in absolute par numbers (but still surprisingly effective and will do what you want)

Positives for reefbreeders (or similar):

Built in controllability (but not 3rd party)
Relatively high absolute par
Price

Negatives:

You need to figure out a mounting solution yourself.
It's not a bad looking fixture but it isn't elegant.

You can easily do a full softy tank with 2 kessils on a 55gal. If you are thinking that at some point you may reconsider and want to go with sps then the reefbreeders or the Kessil a350s would be a better choice.