PDA

View Full Version : Reef Aquariums: Past, Present, and Future

crn005
08/18/2013, 08:02 PM
So I was thinking a lot about reef aquariums in general while I was building today. It seems since I joined this community not too long ago I have seen a lot of changes. Considering the nature of this hobby and the lack of funding for research, we are kind of just stumbling our way through a VERY complex subject and trying to do the best that we can. That means that there will be a constant trickle of new information as more and more people try new things. However, I was wondering: what have been the three most influential things that have happened to this hobby in the past ten years? A few things came to mind but I've only been keeping reefs for about five years now. Also, where are we at now? It seems that a lot of paradigms come and go. Which things that we are discovering now will fade away with time and which ones will become staples in the hobby? Things like LED lighting and Algae Turf Scrubbers both come to mind when I think about that. Finally, where will the hobby be in ten years? I personally think that LEDs are changing at such a fast rate that it's hard to tell which direction they will go in but there are other things as well that I'm not sure will stick around. Only time will tell. I just wanted to see if other people with more experience have put thought into it as well.

Misled
08/18/2013, 08:18 PM
This (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2259924) showed back up today. Should be a good read for you.

crn005
08/18/2013, 08:40 PM
There's definitely a lot of information in that. I'll give it a better read this week. I missed that thread apparently. I expected nothing less than Paul chiming in immediately.

So how is your username to be read, btw? You've got quite the pun going on there.

Misled
08/18/2013, 09:14 PM
Just what it says. I'll pm you.