PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Medic "Arctic Breeze" Cooling Fan Reviews

Mark SF
08/20/2013, 01:07 AM
Aqua Medic has three cooling fan options (2,4 and 6 module) and I wanted to see if anyone was using one of these models?

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/cooling-units/

It looks to be of good construction, reasonably priced vs. a chiller as well as a lot more energy efficient.

Aesthetically it is not bad as some of the other options available using low voltage fans, such as the Tunze "Aqua Wind." I wouldn't mind using this on top of the aquarium (open top) for evaporative cooling during the summer months.

-Mark

Pseudo69
08/20/2013, 03:08 AM
I would need 2 of the 6 module ones and at that price point ($229 each) I would just get a used chiller or 2 $10 clip on fans. Not worth the money in my opinion. The Azoo 4 fan units are almost the same at a 1/4 of the price ($49).

I had the Tunze Aquawind and they were garbage. Not worth the $80 premium and I was surprised Tunze would put that product out with their name on it. Neon Lights on fans in the middle of the night were a terrible idea.

The Aqua Medic's would be great if they were cheaper!

Mark SF
08/20/2013, 09:52 AM
I would need 2 of the 6 module ones and at that price point ($229 each) I would just get a used chiller or 2 $10 clip on fans. Not worth the money in my opinion. The Azoo 4 fan units are almost the same at a 1/4 of the price ($49).

I had the Tunze Aquawind and they were garbage. Not worth the $80 premium and I was surprised Tunze would put that product out with their name on it. Neon Lights on fans in the middle of the night were a terrible idea.

The Aqua Medic's would be great if they were cheaper!

I saw the Azoo's, they look really decent for the money. I can't run a chiller b/c I am concerned about overloading my circuit as I already will have a decent amount of amps on my 15amp breaker. I rent the apartment and I don't want to invest in electrical. I am hoping to have some consistency in temperature and thought this might be effective.

How many gallons is your aquarium? From what I have been told evaporative cooling works very well. I will have a 75G display tank with a net of 81.5G including the sump.

And I agree, the Tunze model looks gimmicky at best.

-Mark

Pseudo69
08/20/2013, 11:04 AM
I have been able to keep my 60g with 20g sump at 79 - 80 deg with just a $10 clip on fan blowing across the top of the water running a 400w radium. When the room got really hot during the heat wave I used my air conditioner and I haven't had to run a chiller the whole summer. What was perfect was that I had my Apex turn on my Air conditioner whenever the tank temp went above 83 deg and shut off at 81 deg.

rlpardue
08/20/2013, 11:09 AM
Are you familiar with the "Vornado" and Vornado-knockoff style fans? They move a TON of air and the small/medium sized ones have holes that you can screw into a canopy to fix the fan over the water. Pretty sweet. I'm integrating two into my system and tossing out the low-power clip-ons and the made-for-aquarium clip-on that looks spiffy but doesn't move much air.

myst
08/20/2013, 11:09 AM
Would it work just as well over the sump? If so I am going to buy the Azoos for that price.