PDA

View Full Version : Please review my plumbing plan

rocsec1
08/20/2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks

Bugs825
08/20/2013, 07:51 AM
Seems good but I have a couple questions. How much flow are you trying to produce with this? And what type of return pump?

I ask this because you have 45s so you are tring to increase flow,which is great. But, the check valve is going to kill that. So why use it?I never used them becase they have a metal spring inside and take a lot of preasure to open, slowing the flow.

Just some more to think about.

Nathan

rocsec1
08/20/2013, 07:55 AM
I am using a triton 3 the check valve have no metal. They are the bulk reef supply recommends

rocsec1
08/20/2013, 09:25 AM
Actually as I am thinking abouit it would a hole in the drain line to break syphon work as well as a check valve?

SGT_York
08/20/2013, 02:09 PM
This post seems very familiar.

rocsec1
08/20/2013, 02:33 PM
I posted in both places to get the maximum amount of input. This the first time I set up a tank this large. Want to get the plumbing right.

slowwrx137
08/20/2013, 02:51 PM
Actually as I am thinking abouit it would a hole in the drain line to break syphon work as well as a check valve?

I would do this and not use the check valves. Just make sure the sump can hold all of the water that drains from the display tank when you turn the power off.

If your using the check valves because the sump would overflow when the power goes off. One day if one of the valves fails your going to end up with a flood.

planedoc
08/20/2013, 03:56 PM
You want to build your system to be as efficient as possible. The best way is to use the least amount of parts to have the lowest head loss. One thing is the large 90 degree fittings have less head loss than two 45. Here is a good chart.
Remember head loss is not the height but a total of all resistance in your plumbing. Each fitting adds more head pressure.
http://neutrium.net/fluid_flow/pressure-loss-from-fittings-excess-head-k-method/