PDA

View Full Version : Bubbletip and carpet anemones

Zante
08/20/2013, 09:25 AM
My tank is 5 feet long and the rockwork has been divided in two roughly equal reefs separated by about 1 foot of sand.

Each reef is an island, as in it's not leaning against the glass on any side, but it's free standing.

I was thinking of dedicating the right reef to SPS (mainly montipora and pocillopora), while leaving macroalgae to grow on the left reef and add a couple of anemones.

In particular I was looking at getting a carpet anemone and a bubbletip anemone. I am pretty confident with bubbletips, but not sure about carpets. Are they much of a niusance with crawling around the tank? Are they very aggressive (for a 'nem) or very predatory?

Do you have any suggestions for a "better" 'nem?
It will have to be from the west Pacific, preferrably found in Fiji.

BTW, Don't worry, I'm not planning to rush out and get loads of 'nems to plonk in my tank, I'm just doing long term planning.

Twistofer
08/21/2013, 06:31 AM
BTA'S tend to be more motile than carpets, though each will find their own spot. Mixing nems can be risky. I've read that some carpets can release a toxin which can kill other species in a closed environment. They should be at least spaced a foot apart.

Zante
08/21/2013, 07:19 AM
The LFS has just put on sale a Heteractis crispa and a Heteractis aurora.

They both look great.

The crispa in particular is tempting me.

Is it a good anemone for a pair of percula clowns?
Is it hardy or will I have to jump through hoops to keep it alive?

Zante
08/21/2013, 11:57 PM
Anyone?

Neogenocide
08/22/2013, 10:58 AM
My carpets "Hadonni" would only ever stay put for a few months at a time.....then they would walk for a bit, and then settle in for another few months. With then being 2 ft. across, I had to get rid of them as they were wrecking the rock work with each move.

phoenixstar89
08/22/2013, 05:30 PM
my blue haddoni that I had a few years ago never moved. He stayed for 1.5yrs in the spot that I first placed him. My current haddoni is a wanderer. He stayed where I first put him for 4 months and then moved to the other side other the tank. After a few weeks he moved to the middle of the the tank and has stayed there for ever since. My blue haddoni was a death trap and ate $300-$400 worth of livestock. The current one hasn't eaten anything it wasn't supposed to. Both of them shared tanks with rbtas. My rbta lives at the top of the center of the tank is only about 3-4in. away from the carpet. They've been together for well over a year with no issues.

Zante
08/23/2013, 12:38 AM
I'm looking at a Heteractis magnifica or an Heteractis crispa now.
Magnifica preferred over crispa.

I have read some scare stories on how hard they are to keep, some here on RC, but they are friends of friends, or no earlier than 2005.
Things have progressed a lot since then, so what's the story now? Are they still hard to keep anemones?
Are they aggressive enough to eat my other stock?

Roshan8768
08/23/2013, 05:39 PM
I think they're doable these days if you get a good specimen to start and do the medication regimen when you get them. They're definitely still one of the harder to keep species, and they will eat your fish if they are hungry/your fish are dumb.