PDA

View Full Version : Will Mangroves root break your tank?

Green_Lionfish
08/20/2013, 02:57 PM
When I think about it, Mangroves are basically trees. I would imagine they have very strong roots once grown and established the root system. I have seen a lot of Refugium mangroves system with tanks. Will their roots eventually break the tank?

Thanks

planedoc
08/20/2013, 03:48 PM
I don't think anyone could say no for sure, anything can happen. But no the roots will not crack your tank.

rick12
08/21/2013, 08:38 AM
They will most likely just grow up and out of the tank when they can't find room to grow

Green_Lionfish
08/21/2013, 12:51 PM
I don't think anyone could say no for sure, anything can happen. But no the roots will not crack your tank.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I read somewhere, but not sure if it happened to anyone here. Basically the roots might actually grow through the silicone, that will cause the leakage. But I haven't really seen this or heard it around here.

They will most likely just grow up and out of the tank when they can't find room to grow

Thanks for the reply

Giga
08/22/2013, 11:24 AM
They can as root will break rocks and cement if they find a way through but mangroves need to be growing in ur tank for a number of years for this to happen. Most people on here don't have anywhere close to mangrove that old, mine are most likly the most advanced and have yet to get anywhere close to breaking a tank

TheCoralFarmer
08/30/2013, 10:00 AM
How old are your mangroves Giga?

Giga
08/31/2013, 06:45 PM
5-6 years I'm about to post them

tom obrecht
09/11/2013, 02:36 PM
I know Mr Sprung has had a mangrove for many years (appr 15 if memory serves) and although I think the tree may have been transplanted into a new tank I don't think he ever had issues with the root structure stressing the tank. I know he regularly prunes the branches but am not sure what effect that has on the roots.