PDA

View Full Version : reefbreeders photon leds fading?

bobamike
08/21/2013, 10:18 AM
hello everyone,
I purchased a 32 inch programmable photon led fixture back in december,and just recently I upgraded my tank to a 155 and I purchased another 32 inch fixture exactly like the first one,
well I have noticed a big difference in the brightness between the two fixtures,it has to be one of two things,they either changed up on leds,or these things get dimmer over a period of time.and if thats the case these fixtures will be worthless in a couple years if that.and I will be forced to replace leds,or replace the entire fixtures.
so I am just curious if anyone else has come across this issue yet.

HUNTER1
08/21/2013, 10:26 AM
You need to go the sponsors forum section under reef breeders, you'll get more info. You can also contact Logan, he'll definitely answer your concern.

bobamike
08/21/2013, 10:28 AM
yeah, shot an email off to logan,no response yet,just want to see if anyone else has had this problem.but thanks,I will post this under the sponsors thread too.

Ron Reefman
08/21/2013, 11:35 AM
I have had EverGrow IT2080's (same as the RB Photon 32) over my 180g DT since late December 2012 and my PAR readings at the sand are (as best as I can measure) the same as they where at the start, 200-225 at the sand. I'd suggest you have something failing in the fixture (bad driver or controller)? The industry claims about a 3% drop off in output per year. So in 8 months you should expect about a 2% fall off. But there is no way you would see that difference with your eye and it would even be very hard to measure with the PAR meters we use. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say on the subject.

ca1ore
08/21/2013, 11:54 AM
That's really the big unknown with LEDs though isn't it - whether they are used to light an aquarium an LCD TV or just work as a kids night light. If you are seeing such a dramatic light loss after a relatively short period of time, seems like something else is at play. Are you sure the LED layouts are the same. I've seen older P32 units with the cool white and/or green LEDs that look subjectively brighter to me than the new ones. Also, make sure you are comparing the two units at the same power level (this is a mistake I would make :)) If they are identical, sure seems like something is amiss.

PS - my four year old Sony LDC/LED TV shows no signs of dimming and it gets a lot of use, so there is hope!

bobamike
08/21/2013, 12:23 PM
the biggest difference is when the moon lights come on,the older fixture the light is faint,and you really have to look to see the rock structure,and its always been that way,now that I think about it,the newer fixture the moon lights are brighter and you can see everything in the tank easily,Im wondering if the blues are different all together,because that is what seems to be thi big difference between the two fixtures,the newer one has a brighter blue hue to it,where the older one seems to look alittle pinker.
heck its hard to explain it! but if you could see it you would understand.I will see if I can capture the difference with pictures,so far all my pics look like crap from the blue saturation from the leds.

ca1ore
08/21/2013, 01:44 PM
That's a question for Logan at RB. FWIW, my 5 month old P32 has the brighter blue moonlights.

Reef_Breeders
08/21/2013, 04:33 PM
We changed the layout to be less pink and more blue. The nuetral whites also appear brighter. The moonlight driver might just be bad, perhaps it is not putting out as much current as it should?

bobamike
08/22/2013, 05:23 AM
We changed the layout to be less pink and more blue. The nuetral whites also appear brighter. The moonlight driver might just be bad, perhaps it is not putting out as much current as it should?
I noticed lastnight that the older unit has 8 reds and the newer unit only has 4 red leds everything else looks the same from what I can tell.
I bought it in dec. so it should be still under warranty,so how do we handle this issue? I adjusted the channels to appear the same for the most part,but the moonlight issue is the main concern to me at this point.
mike

Reef_Breeders
08/22/2013, 05:58 AM
I noticed lastnight that the older unit has 8 reds and the newer unit only has 4 red leds everything else looks the same from what I can tell.
I bought it in dec. so it should be still under warranty,so how do we handle this issue? I adjusted the channels to appear the same for the most part,but the moonlight issue is the main concern to me at this point.
mike

Send me an email with your full name and paypal email: [email protected]