PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Kessil's your thoughts?

Nickh06
08/21/2013, 12:17 PM
I am upgrading my 55 gallon 48" tank from 4 54w T5's to 2 a150w Kessil lights. I am having trouble deciding which color to get... My gut tells me to go with 2 10k sky blue lights but so many people seem to choose the 15k blue ocean kind. I like the white look over the super blue look. Would either of them help with coral growth more than the other? Should I get one of each? I just don't want to get two different ones and have one side of my tank white and one side blue lol.

Help!!!!

Touring
08/21/2013, 01:12 PM
Your going from 216 watts to 60 watts and your worrying about color for growing corals??!!
I think you need to take a step back and search around a bit for your answer.

You should of asked whats the min. lighting for different types of coral but there are tons of opinions out there. hope you find your answer

Nickh06
08/21/2013, 01:46 PM
Well I have heard that the kessils can grow anything. My t5 fixture was pretty cheap so I think this will def be an upgrade. All I have are softies right now but will be adding a few sps like purple whips etc

terrypercula
08/21/2013, 03:38 PM
Your going from 216 watts to 60 watts and your worrying about color for growing corals??!!
I think you need to take a step back and search around a bit for your answer.

You should of asked whats the min. lighting for different types of coral but there are tons of opinions out there. hope you find your answer

Watts is a meaningless term when it comes to LEDs. I don't know what the spread is like on kessils but I assure you they can handle your corals as well if not better than your current lighting.

Nickh06
08/21/2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks Terry! I agree! I called kessil and they said the 10k are better for growth and the 15k are better for deeper colors. I am going with 2 10k to start. I have read that they will grow pretty much anything if setup correctly