PDA

View Full Version : LED Owners - Par Levels?

Outdrsyguy1
08/21/2013, 10:09 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to know what par levels you guys run for your LED lights? I put together a couple DIY kits from reefledlights (66 3w cree per light) and I'm having trouble on the change over. I have a nice par meter ($300 one everyone has) and I measure the par before I changed to LED and tried to match it after the swap. Things seemed okay so I upped it about 10% 2 weeks later and another 5-10% about 10 days later. I nuked a bunch of corals and I think that even though I started with similar par levels, the spectrum was very different than the previous crappy MH's I was running. I lowered the lights a ton (below what I started with) and am trying to slowly bring it back up. A few of the corals are coloring up nicely from their bleached state so I'm trying to figure out when I can bump it up again. The levels now are too low (150 to 250 par) and I want to bring it up again slow enough to not freak corals out but quick enough so they don't degrade from lack of light (couple are showing signs of this).

What levels do you guys run? I tune my tank for about a 20k look or so.

trueblackpercula
08/22/2013, 04:46 AM
150 to 250 par is high, what are you keeping and what is your water levels at?

Outdrsyguy1
08/22/2013, 07:54 PM
mostly sps with a few lps and zoa's. Most info I see online people keep sps around 250 to 400. Here's a fairly prominent tank with par readings which I thought were more in line with what I was shooting for.
http://www.melevsreef.com/par_readings.html

alk 7.8 dkh
calc 430 ppm
mag 1420
salinity 1.025 - 1.026
ph 8.04 to 8.14 (apex)
temp 79.4 - 80.4
nitrate 0
phosphate (haven't found a test kit yet that measure's below .03 and is reasonable to use) - have virtually no hair algae and I run 1 cup gfo and 1 cup carbon both brs
change 4 gallons water 5 times a week on a 120 gallon tank
my parameters haven't moved for months either
Oh, and I feed about 1/2 to 1 cube of pe mysis a day (rinsed before fed)
3 small OC clown, 2 small bartlets anthias, 1 melanarus wrasse, 1 purple fire fish, 1 yasha goby and a pistol shrimp
cuc - 2 emerald crabs, 3 hermit crabs, 3 astrea snails, 2 nassarus, about 30 of those tine dwarf cerinth snails.

I clean the glass about 1 time a week, doesn't need more than that.