PDA

View Full Version : Likely causes?

cbass488
08/22/2013, 10:06 AM
I've had a pretty good cyano outbreak and decided that this past weekend when we were away camping was a good time to follow the directions in the stickied cyano thread above. I scooped out the top layer of cyano covered sand, did 2 good 30% water changes and sucked out all the cyano I could see, and then I wrapped the aquarium in cardboard and kept it lights out for 3days.

The problem is, when I removed the cardboard and turned the lights back on, I was missing 2 fish. My yellow watchman and my royal gramma have not been seen in the 3 days since turning the lights back on.

I'd like to replace them, but want to try to investigate the reason they went missing 1st so I don't repeat.

Other known inhabitants of the tank are 1 tank bred ocelaris, 1 banggai cardinal and 1 six line wrasse. Several turbo, cerith and astria snails. The royal gramma was a new resident, and he had been picked on by the wrasse for his 1st couple days. They then spent about 3 or 4 days co-existing and pretty much ignoring each other, they could occupy close space and not seem to even notice each other.

Had the skimmer running good, and water perameters are good.

I did see a new 'cave' burrowed under the live rock and none of my fish (to my knowledge) were burrowers, so I assumed it might be the cereth snails.

I checked my overflow and the floor around the tank and had no luck finding anybody.

Equipment includes Remora Pro S hob skimmer with surface skimming box, fluval 306 canister, aquaclear 70 converted into a fuge and a fluval sea circulation pump. Lights were out. 55 gallon tank.

Corals include a big frog spawn, a flowerpot, a fox coral, a paly, 2 candy canes and some zoos.

Any suggestions as to possible senarios?

Reefmedic79
08/22/2013, 11:28 AM
They could still be possibly hiding, I've had fish disappear for a couple weeks, only to be found when I least expect it. The watchman could have dug the hole and be living in it.

Sugar Magnolia
08/22/2013, 11:31 AM
Just wait it out. The watchman is likely under the rocks as they dig burrows. Grammas tend to be shy so it may just be hiding in the rockwork.

devimik
08/22/2013, 11:54 AM
Yep, agree with the above comments. My Yellow watchman disappears for days on end even with a normal light schedule. That is normal for them. My Royal Gamma has many holes and hiding places in the rockwork and hides a lot of the time. I can see if yours was in darkness for days, he could still be hiding. I'd give it some time before trying to replace them.

cbass488
08/22/2013, 02:12 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys! It just isn't like either fish, they both had their regular habbits (though the gramma only had 'em for a week lol)