PDA

View Full Version : Help - My first anemone

goldfish69
08/23/2013, 08:51 AM
Hello forum experts.

A local reefer was selling a green bubble tip anenome for a good price and it was too good to pass so I decided to get it.

It came attached with a rock.

On the first day, it detached from the rock and it moved around a bit.

For the past couple of days, it has attached itself to the glass close to the return pipes.

I have a 6-ft (160G) tank and running 2 razor LED lights and tank has been running for 1.5 years. Water parameters are all good.

So far it has only explore the left side of the tank as far as I can tell.

I have tried ice and shooting a powerhead directly at it but still hasn't move.

Should I leave it there until it will find a spot that it likes?

What other methods can I do to get it to move? How strong of a current should I be shooting at him in order to get it to move?

I'm afraid that if I have too strong of a flow, it might damage it.

Thanks for all the feedback and info that you can give me.

Roshan8768
08/23/2013, 05:35 PM
I would leave it alone, it'll take care of itself as far as finding a good spot for itself with regards to light/flow. What you can do is if it does move to a spot that you like, try and feed it... this often encourages them to stay put (for the time being) IME. If you have any powerheads, try and put covers on them until your anemone has settled down

sjwitt
08/24/2013, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about having too much flow. If it doesn't like the flow it will move to a lower flow area. Mine like a lot of flow. It could be near the return because it likes the water flowing across it. Mine are all clustered at the top near the return, I have 2 MP40s running at highest speeds and they are waving in the current. They couldn't be happier.

goldfish69
08/26/2013, 08:13 AM
the anemone been stuck in the same spot for 3 days and I'm afraid that it has found a spot that it likes (close to the return lines) which I don't like. :headwally:

Can I try to shut off the main pump for about 1 hour and see if that will get it to move to another spot?

If that doesn't work, is it safe to try to peel the foot off the glass?

Thanks

MacWilliams
08/26/2013, 09:40 AM
Peeling it off the glass wont hurt it as long as you do it slowly. Just kind of poke your finger at the base of the foot and just slowly work your finger under until it releases. Now i wouldnt recommend doing this tho because it will probably just move up again and stress it out. But if you move it do what was recommended and feed it once it opens back up.

Also, cover your powerheads. I've found out the hard way that while it's moving around finding out where it wants to be you need to cover them.