PDA

View Full Version : Help - My first anenome

goldfish69
08/23/2013, 10:57 AM
Hello forum experts.

A local reefer was selling a green bubble tip anenome for a good price and it was too good to pass so I decided to get it.

It came attached with a rock.

On the first day, it detached from the rock and it moved around a bit.

For the past couple of days, it has attached itself to the glass close to the return pipes.

I have a 6-ft (160G) tank and running 2 razor LED lights and tank has been running for 1.5 years. Water parameters are all good.

So far it has only explore the left side of the tank as far as I can tell.

I have tried ice and shooting a powerhead directly at it but still hasn't move.

Should I leave it there until it will find a spot that it likes?

What other methods can I do to get it to move? How strong of a current should I be shooting at him in order to get it to move?

I'm afraid that if I have too strong of a flow, it might damage it.

Thanks for all the feedback and info that you can give me.

Lynxone
08/23/2013, 11:08 AM
Does it look healthy? Is its mouth open? Anenomes won't always stay where you want them. If he's doing ok, I would wait it out and let him find a spot where he's happy unless he's in danger of being sucked into a powerhead

HumbleFish
08/23/2013, 11:18 AM
Does it look healthy? Is its mouth open? Anenomes won't always stay where you want them. If he's doing ok, I would wait it out and let him find a spot where he's happy unless he's in danger of being sucked into a powerhead

+1 Anemones seek out their "sweet spot" in the tank and then generally stay put. Only problem is you & the anemone may not agree on it's choice of real estate. :mixed:

goldfish69
08/23/2013, 01:47 PM
he looks healthy for now but we have to outsmart the creature :lmao:

if we make their current nest as uncomfortable as can be, then they will move on to another location

thegrun
08/23/2013, 01:51 PM
Usually aiming a powerhead (either an existing one in your system or adding one temporarily) directly at it will get them to move.

goldfish69
08/23/2013, 09:14 PM
A friend of mine suggested to me to cover the lights where the return pipes are so this way it will get it to move to a better spot for better lighting without stressing it too much.

He's moved a it so far so we will see tomorrow morning if it found a better spot.

SunnyB
08/26/2013, 09:35 PM
My first BTA died after about 3 months.

I bought another one and this one acts nothing like the first one. Apparently some move around and others do not. The one I currently have moved to his sweet spot on the rock the first day and has not budged since.

They will move until they find a spot they like. I agree to watch out for the powerheads.

You might try putting the rock (if it is small enough) it is attached to in a corner and see if it will stay there. I see a lot of reefers who have corner anenomes.

Best of Luck!