PDA

View Full Version : Difference between argonite and ground crushed coral

nrbelk
08/23/2013, 02:16 PM
I'm looking for sand to fill in my new tank. I recently called the only LFS in my area to ask about volumes, discounts, and prices. He mentioned to me that he's working on getting a wholesaler (from Ohio I believe) that sells crushed coral but in three grit sizes. First is sugar fine, second is a little more course, and then there is a third and larger size.

My question is would you still have the same problems with ground crushed coral as what people have when they typically talk about crushed coral?

Or is crushed coral, when ground up to more fine grains of sand, the same as aragonite?

Thanks

Reefmedic79
08/23/2013, 02:22 PM
Arogonite is calcium carbonate or limestone rock, which comes from coral skeletons. Some of the sand sold as aquarium sand is silica based, which could cause problems in a reef tank. The way to tell if the sand you get ahold of is aragonite is to put some in a small amount of vinegar, if it bubbles, it's aragonite.

Crush coral implies a very course grain sand, which is typically frowned upon as it tend to build up nutrients within all the grains.

thegrun
08/23/2013, 02:46 PM
+1, so if it is ground up into sand it is no longer what would commonly be considered crushed coral.

nrbelk
08/23/2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

That is what I was thinking, that crushed coral was the larger, almost pebble size, grains. But wanted to be sure before I committed to buying some from the LFS.