PDA

View Full Version : ph swing overnight

Critical1
08/24/2013, 11:17 AM
What is your normal ph swing overnight?

Mine is 8.1 when the lights go out and when the lights come back on the next day it is 7.85.

Is that to much of a swing? If so.....any suggestion on how to keep more stable.

spieszak
08/24/2013, 11:22 AM
My swing is about .1.. so depending on where I'm at (still playing with my alk dosing to get it where i want it/stable), I run a high of about 8.21 and a low of about 8.11.
Reverse lighting my sump is what did the most to keep it from larger swings.

Arkayology
08/24/2013, 11:28 AM
That isn't a big swing. I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it stable unless you drop below 7.6ish. If you really want to try and keep it up during the night you can run a reverse light cycle on your fuge if you have one, dose your alk at night if you dose, or keep a window open. IMO, don't worry about it.

disc1
08/24/2013, 11:28 AM
What is your normal ph swing overnight?

Mine is 8.1 when the lights go out and when the lights come back on the next day it is 7.85.

Is that to much of a swing? If so.....any suggestion on how to keep more stable.

That's natural. It really isn't a problem.

bertoni
08/24/2013, 04:19 PM
I agree that many tanks show such a swing. I'd ignore it, personally.

blanden.adam
08/24/2013, 04:23 PM
Agreed, that swing is actually quite small (mine goes from 8.3 to 8.0-8.1, or if I've had guests over that night as low as 7.9)

hallzoo
08/25/2013, 01:53 AM
7.78 to 8.10 when using sodium bicarbonate in my 2-part, 8.2 to 8.4 when using sodium carbonate.

Never saw any difference in livestock health with either pH range.

PaulieReef
08/25/2013, 02:47 PM
I know if there was a .3 ph swing in a human it could be pretty bad. I am still fairly new to reef chemistry, but I would assume the lower swing the better? I mean there are may references in chem books to how our body is like a walking aquarium :P.

bertoni
08/25/2013, 03:18 PM
Cells regulate their internal pH very tightly because the reactions needed to stay alive only work in a fairly small range. Generally, organisms are reasonable well-adapted to smaller pH shifts like that, which can happen in some natural environments, too. Lagoons would be one example.

disc1
08/25/2013, 05:25 PM
I know if there was a .3 ph swing in a human it could be pretty bad. I am still fairly new to reef chemistry, but I would assume the lower swing the better? I mean there are may references in chem books to how our body is like a walking aquarium :P.

Intracellular pH swings may be bad, but we're talking about pH swings in the water outside the cell. The cells in our corals maintain intracellular pH well below that of the water outside. I can't find the article Cliff posted about a year or two ago, but it was something like 7.2 inside the cells.

Just changing the pH a little bit outside isn't necessarily going to change things inside.