PDA

View Full Version : Tank shattered!

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 01:01 PM
So I began drilling my tank just a moment ago and it shattered.

The backside had no indication of tempered nor did it have any of the stickers that the other sides had on it saying tempered, do not drill.

Here is a picture of the tank though. Does this look like tempered glass to you guys?? It would appear so to me....which was not what I was told when I bought it.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/Kyle_Browne/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo3_zpsac89c811.jpg (http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Kyle_Browne/media/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo3_zpsac89c811.jpg.html)

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/Kyle_Browne/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo2_zpsa50e4ee3.jpg (http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Kyle_Browne/media/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo2_zpsa50e4ee3.jpg.html)

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/Kyle_Browne/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo1_zps86ce23a4.jpg (http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Kyle_Browne/media/Stuff%20for%20sale/photo1_zps86ce23a4.jpg.html)

E Rosewater
08/24/2013, 01:06 PM
From the way it shattered it certainly looks tempered to me.

Goss
08/24/2013, 01:07 PM
dang....guess it will be a book shelf now.

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 01:08 PM
From the way it shattered it certainly looks tempered to me.

Well, we confirmed one thing...tempered glass definitely cannot be drilled.

I am going to call the place I got it from. Every other side had a marking on it or a sticker of some kind.

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 01:12 PM
Any recommendations on a 75 gallon, rimless tank that isn't tempered? haha I am hoping that this place will give me back credit for this tank and let me order a new one. This one was on display there.

HumbleFish
08/24/2013, 01:17 PM
Is it a brand named tank or did someone build it for you?

I guess after seeing this, I should go apologize to my acrylic tank for all the complaining I do about it.

Sorry this happened to you, buddy. I know it really sucks.

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 01:21 PM
Is it a brand named tank or did someone build it for you?

I guess after seeing this, I should go apologize to my acrylic tank for all the complaining I do about it.

Sorry this happened to you, buddy. I know it really sucks.

Deep Blue Professional. I bought it locally though. When I bought it, every other side had stickers or an etching saying it was tempered...the backside did not.

Yea it sucks. I am bummed but not going to let it ruin my day. I was all excited to do the plumbing today too...

Mattiejay6
08/24/2013, 01:29 PM
Is that a 75g rimless?

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 01:42 PM
Is that a 75g rimless?

It was yes.

HumbleFish
08/24/2013, 02:29 PM
It was yes.

I looked up the 75 gal rimless on their website and it says: "Upgraded glass panes on all sides, drilled and tempered for strength and safety." So, I'm not sure if you're supposed to have it drilled before you buy it, or there's a special bit you're supposed to use for tempered glass or what.

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/rimless.html

spieszak
08/24/2013, 02:40 PM
If the store won't take it back, which they likely won't given that it voids the warranty on just about every tank I've seen to drill them, it might be worth seeing if someone in you area can replace the pane. The cost of the new pane and fix might not be less than replacement, but you could be certain the replacement pane is not tempered.

dinwiddie90
08/24/2013, 02:57 PM
Defiantly tempered

Rarend99
08/24/2013, 03:06 PM
Replace the back glass?

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 03:24 PM
I looked up the 75 gal rimless on their website and it says: "Upgraded glass panes on all sides, drilled and tempered for strength and safety." So, I'm not sure if you're supposed to have it drilled before you buy it, or there's a special bit you're supposed to use for tempered glass or what.

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/rimless.html

The thing is, I checked their website but they changed it. It previously listed both a tank tempered on all sides and one not tempered on the bottom and back. But idk, I of course can't bring up their old site but I read it several times before buying the tank. In fact I had requested one be ordered with the ordered number online that was listed for a tank with non tempered bottom and back.

O well though, I do not want a tempered back, if I has known I would not have bought it. And when I bought it, every side buy that one had several stickers on it saying tempered, do not drill.

I will see if I can find a place locally to cut a half inch thick, 48 x 21 pane.

Spork3245
08/24/2013, 03:29 PM
When I bought it, every other side had stickers or an etching saying it was tempered...the backside did not.

If all the other sides have a sticker saying "tempered glass" it's safe to assume that they are all using tempered glass. I wouldn't think any company would make one panel different from the others unless otherwise noted.

For your next tank just get a "reef ready" tank which is built with overflows in it and drilled at the bottom. If you want to try and save some money, instead of buying a new tank, replace the back panel or have someone replace it for you (and have them drill it) :)

Rarend99
08/24/2013, 03:36 PM
I replaced he back of my 100 gallon starphire rimless, wasn't that hard, prep work is your best friend! took many hours of elbow grease but in the end I replaced the back pane for around 110 including glass and silicone

Kyle918
08/24/2013, 05:00 PM
I replaced he back of my 100 gallon starphire rimless, wasn't that hard, prep work is your best friend! took many hours of elbow grease but in the end I replaced the back pane for around 110 including glass and silicone

Has the tank been filled with water yet? How do you ensure it has a good seal? What silicone did you use? Where did you get the new panel?

I will probably have more questions for you if you don't mind a pm sometime in the future.

Rarend99
08/24/2013, 05:03 PM
Has the tank been filled with water yet? How do you ensure it has a good seal? What silicone did you use? Where did you get the new panel?

I will probably have more questions for you if you don't mind a pm sometime in the future.

I filled the tank with water last month and haven't had a single issue, been in my garage with some power heads to ensure no leaking

To ensure a good seal you silicone the panel in between the sides and bottom, then let it sit, next day make the inner seal.

I used momentive rtv 108 silicone, only the best

No problem, if you have any questions feel free to Pm me

Sk8r
08/24/2013, 05:07 PM
Tempered does that.
You can't drill it.
My advice is drill a pane of plain untempered glass and replace the broken one: you might be able to get a glass company to do that replacement for you...dunno. Most companies are just a shade IMprecise on their measurements, and you can't be imprecise on this.
If doing it yourself, get the area good and clean before even starting.

Hzuiel
08/24/2013, 05:28 PM
If all the other sides have a sticker saying "tempered glass" it's safe to assume that they are all using tempered glass. I wouldn't think any company would make one panel different from the others unless otherwise noted.

For your next tank just get a "reef ready" tank which is built with overflows in it and drilled at the bottom. If you want to try and save some money, instead of buying a new tank, replace the back panel or have someone replace it for you (and have them drill it) :)

Wrong, there are a lot of makers that temper some panels but not all on the aquarium. A lot of times the front is tempered so they can use thinner glass for better viewing, but the end panels and back might not be tempered.

I just checked deep blue's product list and there are only two rimless 75 gallon, the reef ready tank that comes pre-drilled, or the plant tank which is....

ADB13076 DB EDGE 75 RIMLESS PLANT TANK 48X18X20 Front: T back: N-T bottom: N-T end panels: T

If you can confirm that your tank is ADB13076 then you drilled the back instead of the front. I'd be nearly willing to bet that if you put a caliper on the glass, the panel you tried to drill is thinner then the opposite side(the back). They probably screwed up the stickers in the factory, that's very unfortunate.

Their spec sheet also basically says subject to change without notice. You automatically void your warranty if you drill any aquarium. Drilling is already risky business, non-tempered can still break. I had my 20 drilled AT the pet shop and they wouldn't even guaruntee it, if it had cracked i would've had to buy another and have them try again.

saltpeter
08/24/2013, 05:39 PM
you can sticker it now.sorry to hear

Spork3245
08/24/2013, 05:55 PM
Wrong, there are a lot of makers that temper some panels but not all on the aquarium. A lot of times the front is tempered so they can use thinner glass for better viewing, but the end panels and back might not be tempered.

One tempered and three non tempered is different then the exact opposite, which is what I was commenting on. If I had a tank where 3/4 sides said they were tempered and there was nothing on the 4th, I'd safely assume that the 4th was also tempered.
I also stated that it's doubtful a single panel would be different from the others with ZERO notation.
(With respect to the op) When you assume that a single panel isn't tempered because it's the only one without a sticker... Well... Check the op to see what happens.

Hzuiel
08/24/2013, 06:08 PM
One tempered and three non tempered is different then the exact opposite, which is what I was commenting on. If I had a tank where 3/4 sides said they were tempered and there was nothing on the 4th, I'd safely assume that the 4th was also tempered.
I also stated that it's doubtful a single panel would be different from the others with ZERO notation.
(With respect to the op) When you assume that a single panel isn't tempered because it's the only one without a sticker... Well... Check the op to see what happens.

Except that in this case their spec sheet says exactly that, 3 sides tempered, 1 not.

Spork3245
08/24/2013, 06:27 PM
Except that in this case their spec sheet says exactly that, 3 sides tempered, 1 not.

Except that he never provided the model number of the tank in his possesion only that he asked the store to order him the one with a non-tempered back. Also, the only side that didn't have a sticker/etching indicating tempered glass was the one he drilled (it had nothing on it indicating tempered or non-tempered) and it was also tempered.
(Again)If there is NO indication of whether or not a panel is tempered and all the others are, it's much safer to assume it's also tempered.

I've seen tanks with both tempered and non-tempered panels on the same unit, however which panels were which were always clearly marked in my limited experience, which is what I actually stated in my first post.

rc1626
08/24/2013, 07:16 PM
My new Marineland 40B only noted the bottom being tempered. It did not have any notations on any of the other panes signifying tempered or not. The panes with no notation were not tempered. My experience has been that tank manufacturers will only tell you which panes are tempered. I've never seen a sticker on a pane say "not tempered". (Aqueon and Marineland.) My assumption was that if no sticker was present then it could be drilled. Hope I'm never wrong. I also double check the manufacturers website before drilling.
It seems like the op did his research. Sorry to hear.
Good luck!

Kyle918
08/25/2013, 10:01 AM
Yes, this is unfortunate. I did do my research and I did check their site several times, which has changed since then. They used to have a huge picture with all the details of each tank on it. I also spent 45 minutes talking with the guys I bought it from about drilling and about the beananimal I was going to install and then this....

I will just cut my losses and move on to the next step...fixing it.

I will call ST Pete Glass tomorrow. I work full time so I won't have time to physically check visit them until my vacation the first week in September. My dad offered to pick up the glass for me if I can have an order placed and cut.

Hopefully I can stay on target. My birthday is in September and I was planning to have this tank set up and running as a "happy birthday to me" type deal. It is a bummer but I'm not going to let it ruin my birthday or my reefing experience.

Thank you for all the help guys. I will probably start another thread in the DIY section and get information on cleaning up the glass that is still glue to the remaining sides and base. Anyone here have any suggestions for that? Will I need to remove the bottom brace? Would it be worth my time to re-silicone the entire tank? I've heard a few negative things about Deep Blue Professional rimless seals in the past...

Kyle918
08/25/2013, 10:03 AM
you can sticker it now.sorry to hear

LMAO. I'm glad I and everyone else can at least make this funny. A good attitude can go a long way. :spin3:

rc1626
08/25/2013, 01:34 PM
Acetone, razorblades, rubbing alcohol and paper towels/rags.

dcampbell
08/25/2013, 07:19 PM
Wow ! I cant believe that did that when you filled it !!!:jester:

Sn8kbyt
08/25/2013, 09:51 PM
You are way more light hearted than I am. My girlfriend would have walked in and seen me standing over my shattered tank she would have headed for the door and told me to call her on the way out when I was done losing my mind :headwalls:

In all seriousness that sucks man!!

I had the bit and all the tools to drill my 90g that is over 10 years old and at the last minute couldn't do it and bought an overflow box. It wasn't tempered but I kept imagining a broken pane of glass as the outcome.

Kyle918
08/26/2013, 10:45 AM
Acetone, razorblades, rubbing alcohol and paper towels/rags.

Will do!

Wow ! I cant believe that did that when you filled it !!!:jester:

It was empty when I drilled.

You are way more light hearted than I am. My girlfriend would have walked in and seen me standing over my shattered tank she would have headed for the door and told me to call her on the way out when I was done losing my mind :headwalls:

In all seriousness that sucks man!!

I had the bit and all the tools to drill my 90g that is over 10 years old and at the last minute couldn't do it and bought an overflow box. It wasn't tempered but I kept imagining a broken pane of glass as the outcome.

Worse could happen is how I see it. Next time, I will just custom order a tank so I know what I am getting. The drilling was going excellent until I got half way, which is the point when tempered glass decides, ummm, I don't like this!

I will be placing an order tomorrow for a new pane of glass through st Pete glass. Unfortunately it will take about 7 business days to get a new one because of the thickness of the glass but better than nothing I guess!

JiveWalker
08/26/2013, 11:18 AM
Have the local glass shop replace the glass with a pre drilled tempered piece.

James77
08/26/2013, 06:45 PM
It is only a couple hairline cracks, I am sure you could get by with patching it with silicone.

Hzuiel
08/26/2013, 06:47 PM
Should he maybe drill the new glass before replacing the old pane, just incase the new one cracks, he won't have wasted so much time?

Kyle918
09/13/2013, 06:30 AM
Should he maybe drill the new glass before replacing the old pane, just incase the new one cracks, he won't have wasted so much time?

Good morning everyone. Just had to share the good news. I finally received the new pane of glass and took it home last night. I drilled my 5 holes, 3 for the bean animal and 2 for returns. It looks GREAT! I will post a picture later today. I will reattach the new pane this afternoon after work and let it dry.

And yes, I did drill it before attaching of course and since it was apart, I drilled from what will be the inside out so that any imperfections at the end of the drilling won't matter.

Silvergryphon
09/13/2013, 07:09 AM
Awesome to hear, get that baby filled!

sellersmd
09/13/2013, 07:36 AM
dang, thats a shame!