PDA

View Full Version : Where to get RODI Water?

mluntz
08/25/2013, 07:55 AM
I am a little bit strapped for cash. Where can I buy RODI water for water changes and does it come pre-mixed with salt? My LFS sells pre-mixed RODI water for $1 a gallon at a so called 1.023 salinity. Would this work short term?
Thanks

xroads
08/25/2013, 08:05 AM
If they sell premade saltwater, they will also sell RODI water

dkeller_nc
08/25/2013, 08:23 AM
I am a little bit strapped for cash. Where can I buy RODI water for water changes and does it come pre-mixed with salt? My LFS sells pre-mixed RODI water for $1 a gallon at a so called 1.023 salinity. Would this work short term?
Thanks

As long as your LFS properly maintains their water purification system, then yes, purchasing water from them will be just as good as making your own (though a good bit more expensive in the long run). The LFS does have an incentive to maintain their system above and beyond selling to their customers - they need to maintain it for the health of their livestock.

sleepydoc
08/25/2013, 10:36 AM
Check with them to see if they use DI water to mix the salt water and if you can buy just plain DI water from them; that may be a bit cheaper. As mentioned above, if the filter's properly maintained, it should be fine.

I understand your financial constraints, but I would really try to get your own filter. Depending on the salt you use, the salt cost is $0.30~0.50/gallon, so you're paying $0.50~0.70 per gallon to have them mix it for you, plus time and gas money. If you're doing a 10% weekly water change, that's an extra $130-180/year, so a DI filter wouldn't take that long to pay for itself.

An added benefit of having your own filter is that you're much more likely to do your water changes on a regular basis, improving the health of your system.

FunInFloridaSun
08/25/2013, 10:46 AM
See if a fellow local reefer addict will let you have some till you save $to get your own filter.

mluntz
08/25/2013, 10:49 AM
Can you guys recommend a decent filter? Thanks for the help.

Tron_954
08/25/2013, 10:53 AM
brs has their rodi units on sale right now i think

HumbleFish
08/25/2013, 11:06 AM
Can you guys recommend a decent filter? Thanks for the help.

I highly recommend Spectrapure. They are also a sponsor of this great site. I know they sell refurb RODIs cheaper than brand new ones. So if you PM them; I'd be willing to bet they can come up with something that fits your budget.

xdiep23
08/25/2013, 11:09 AM
+1 on BRS RO/DI systems. Great quality units and like above member stated, on sale right now for their 4 stage system with in-line TDS meter. It will pay for itself in no time plus the convenience of not having to lug water jugs around to LFS and gas you would save.