PDA

View Full Version : 10g QT setup

Aleiva16
08/25/2013, 04:21 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to setup a 10g QT that I will only use when needed not looking for a long term QT. I'm looking in adding new saltwater every time I get a new fish. I'm not understanding what is the procedure I need to go by. I have read the sticky but I'm still a little loss. I hear that your suppose to put a sponge from your DT in your QT filter but then I hear you need to put filter floss. Then I hear you should put 10% of you DT water in the QT. so I'm lost I'm only looking to QT fish for about a week. Please help me out guys I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

oscarinw
08/25/2013, 07:10 PM
There's no magic formula. To do this, you will have to test the water and make sure your Quarantine system has fully cycled before you add any life to it... You can use filter floss or a sponge. You can also use rock and water from your main tank. You can use 100% new water and a HOB power filter... All roads will lead you to the same end, but only in time. And that time changes for almost every specific situation. You might have two very similar situations and still get a different cycle times.
What I have at home is extra rock in the DT and whenever I set up the QT, I use that rock for it. I also use water from the same DT and that way I pretty much avoid a cycle altogether. Only, once the fish have moved, I leave the QT with no fish for 7 weeks before I bring it back to the DT and give them a good rinse in fresh salt water before doing so. I never use metal treatments in the QT to avoid poisoning the population of my DT.
If you can't do this, then I'd recommend filter floss in the filter and a sponge that has been 'seeded' in the DT for about 2 weeks.
However, the absolute indispensable requirement will always be to test your QT before you add life and make sure it is not cycling when you do so.
Good luck with things!

Aleiva16
08/25/2013, 09:23 PM
Thank you

Aleiva16
08/26/2013, 02:49 PM
Anyone else with some advise??

Aleiva16
08/27/2013, 02:20 PM
anyone?

kipper1012
08/27/2013, 06:17 PM
a very good read helped me out alot
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2195588

kipper1012
08/27/2013, 06:18 PM
a very good read helped me out alot
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

rosek007
08/27/2013, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind I'm fairly new to this so take from my advise what you will but my quarantine tanks are up and running all the time, one has salinity to match the fish stores and the other regular 1.025 both with rock so the fish can scratch and let me know if they have ich both dosed with copper works for me so far so I'm gonna keep doing it until I find a better way or it stops working.
Kevin