PDA

View Full Version : Saw this on the corner of my tank. What do I do next?

SimonSKL
08/25/2013, 04:34 PM
I think my Percula clowns are having babies but I am not sure. Any suggestion?

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/SimonSKL/003_zps57fedfbd.jpg (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/SimonSKL/media/003_zps57fedfbd.jpg.html)

BryanM
08/25/2013, 07:07 PM
Looks like they are... Some have had luck getting them to stick to tile or pots. In a high flow tank the eggs are probably in the skimmer. I believe trademark has some experience with this. Maybe he will chime in.

syrinx
08/25/2013, 07:20 PM
Yes if you want to breed them it is best done in a smaller tank with a clay pot for the laying/hosting. They can of course be bred in a display tank, and if they lay on a removable surface, then they can be removed for rearing. Breeding and rearing in the display proper is not likely. Good food for the tank though.

SimonSKL
08/25/2013, 07:37 PM
I don't have the right equipment to breed and keep the fry. They are likely to become food for other fish as syrinx said. I was just thrilled to see those eggs attached to the glass like that. How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

syrinx
08/25/2013, 08:46 PM
With my maroons it varies by a few days, but its usually a week or so.

_shorty_
08/27/2013, 06:19 AM
Congrats Simon! I've heard of corals in systems really thriving with the extra food from regular frys being hatched.

Trademark
08/30/2013, 08:59 PM
Congrats, looks like those clowns are getting plenty of lipids in there diet, otherwise they would not be sticking to the glass like that with all the flow you have. Be proud that you have a well balanced system. As long as you keep feeding good your corals will love the midnight snack. If you want to see them hatch,,, turn flow way down about thirty minutes after lights go out and you can put a flashlight against glass and they will swim to the light. You will know when they are ready to hatch when eggs get a black dot on them(which is the eyes). This is the first time I have been on RC here since march, time flies

SimonSKL
08/30/2013, 09:17 PM
Congrats, looks like those clowns are getting plenty of lipids in there diet, otherwise they would not be sticking to the glass like that with all the flow you have. Be proud that you have a well balanced system. As long as you keep feeding good your corals will love the midnight snack. If you want to see them hatch,,, turn flow way down about thirty minutes after lights go out and you can put a flashlight against glass and they will swim to the light. You will know when they are ready to hatch when eggs get a black dot on them(which is the eyes). This is the first time I have been on RC here since march, time flies

Trademark, so good to hear from you again. I thought you disappeared from earth. Have you started a new tank? Let me know when you want your corals back. They are doing great and have grown much bigger.

I am not seeing black dots in the eggs yet but there seems to be something reflecting the light within each egg when I put the flashlight to them.