PDA

View Full Version : Dispophos-where does the po4 go?

reefmutt
08/25/2013, 07:02 PM
From what I read/hear about Dispophos and other similar products like Rowa Crystal, these liquids are iron based and will bind and precipitate phosphates, reducing the po4 levels in the tank water..
Assuming this is correct, I'm wondering where the p goes and once it has precipitated, how does one actually remove the p from the aquarium permanently?
It seems that Rowa crystal is simply ferric oxide dust but according to the old website Glass Box, Dispophos contains another ingredient which helps in the binding process.
By using this stuff is one actually able to remove the bound p from the system after it has precipitated or is one simply chasing one's tail by dosing this product, watching the p levels drop in the water column only to have it redisolve after a certain period of time..
Thanks for any insight!

bertoni
08/26/2013, 12:22 AM
For GFO products, you remove the phosphate from the system when you replace the media. The phosphate is bound to the GFO. Dispophos sounds like a lanthanum chloride product. They are harder to use, because you need a filter sock or something similar to catch the precipitate, but are very inexpensive to use. SeaKlear is a common brand.

reefmutt
08/26/2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the response.
I know that gfo binds the po4, this is why I wonder about the lanthanum chloride or ferric oxide dust products.. When using them, some of the precipitate will get caught in a filter sock and I assume some will be skimmed out, but I would think that the majority of the precipitate will simply settle back into the substrate and the rock within the aquarium..
Isn't this counter productive?
I ask because I do run gfo to reduce po4 but I made the mistake of setting my tank up with what seems to be pretty po4 laden second hand live rock so I am having trouble controlling po4 levels. My sand bed is keeping no3 at 0 but po4 is all over the place.
I'd consider using a lanthanum chloride product or ferric oxide dust product as a short term, heavy 'detox' so to speek, just to pull out the excess p but I'm not sure it is a sound approach to permanently remove po4 from the system..
I don't use any carbon dosing methods as no3 is already at 0..
Thoughts?
I know that dosing no3 may help, but that discussion can get heated.. :)

disc1
08/26/2013, 10:12 AM
Generally when using GFO the point is to keep the GFO in the reactor and not to let the dust get out I to the aquarium at all. Then when you change the media in the reactor you are removing the phosphate from the system. Letting the GFO "dust" go all over the inside of the tank will cause more problems than just the phosphate.

Using lanthanum chloride is trickier. You have to do the dosing in such a way that you can collect all the precipitate. Most people use a fine micron sock. I would think a sand filter to be much better. Either way, letting that stuff go all over inside the tank will again cause much bigger problems than just the phosphate.

Neither one of those things should be turned loose out into the DT.

reefmutt
08/26/2013, 11:28 AM
That was my suspicion.
I have a sump that is after the DT and runs into a sock befor draining into main sump.. I may try using it in there..
Thanks!

coralsnaked
08/26/2013, 12:01 PM
Ive dripped Lanthanum Chloride with a dosing pump right into my overflow which drops right into the sock. No worries w/ the precipertate utilizing this method

reefmutt
08/26/2013, 03:57 PM
That's a very interesting idea. I like it!
Thanks.