PDA

View Full Version : Which led

hossa81
08/25/2013, 08:19 PM
Basically, im choosing between the 16k razor maxspect, radion gen2, and basically all the ai units, mainly the blue vega. Which one should i get. Im looking for something more blue and that makes your coral pop. I also want something to grow acros and a clam, would like to grow a maxima. Tank is a 20 gallon, 24"by12".

OCCOFNY
08/25/2013, 08:23 PM
Personally, I have only used Ai for the last eight years. I have been running the sole blues on my frag tanks and will be trying the Vegas or Hydras on the 4 new frag tanks I will be installing. Just be careful and start at a lower setting and slowly increase it over time. Good luck, Neil

asid61
08/26/2013, 12:22 AM
Razor or Radion. The former is better IMO, but the latter has better programming.
I don't like AI in general just because of their use of cool whites, and pitching terms like ">70 CRI" and pretending they're good.

mysticwave_2
08/26/2013, 12:55 AM
The new AI Hydras are looing good straight out of the box and include UV. Radions would also be good. I am hearing there are issues with the razors where the power supply rectifier overheats and has caused the casing to melt.

hossa81
08/26/2013, 05:48 AM
Any thoughts on the vega blue?

mysticwave_2
08/26/2013, 09:24 AM
Do you mean the AI sol blue? Personally I would go with the AI Hydra, as it comes with UV. I have seen great results with UV and more violet end of spectrum. The vega colour needs custom puks to add uv and violet.
Basically, uv and violet will penetrate water to a greater depth. There is a theory that the coral colour acts as a uv sun screen to some extent, and that will enhance the colour. I have seen some amazing tanks in the UK thay are doing this and also in Germany. You dont want too much uv, just enough. I. Am of the belief that you need a good spectrum right from UV to infra red. Keeping to the blue end is fine, but I think you need a litle bit of all the spectrum. If you set lights all the way into the blue, you can end up with a tank that looks like its some 90's nightclub. Make it look more natural.

hossa81
08/26/2013, 03:08 PM
Alright, looking closer at the lighting systems, i am liking the radion gen2, hydras and razor. Any input on which one, working my way slowly to narrow down.

hilgert
08/26/2013, 03:15 PM
+1 for AI Hydra. I'm a former AI Sol user btw.

Tron_954
08/26/2013, 03:27 PM
Radion, and I say that coming from 2 years of ai sol blue ownership

mysticwave_2
08/26/2013, 03:55 PM
Hearing a lot of issues with the razors, where the power supply rectifier overheats and melts the casing.
a lot of people very happy with radions and Hydra's. Best to see them both together if you can and see which one you prefer. Also depends on the functionality, so worth seeing what you get for your money in terms of software and controlability.

hossa81
08/27/2013, 04:00 PM
Alright, after taking a look over at all the lights, decided I will probably get the hydras. Any special advice with these lights.

hilgert
08/27/2013, 04:23 PM
Alright, after taking a look over at all the lights, decided I will probably get the hydras. Any special advice with these lights.

The Hydras will be very bright...brighter than I expected (I am a former AI Sol owner).

Also, be prepared for excellent customer service from AI if you ever need it...they are awesome!!!

milsaltnewbie07
08/27/2013, 05:14 PM
im running 2 hydras on my 62g cube and i love them. Im runnig them on coral acclimation mode at 50 % since even though they dont look as bright as other VEGAS, Its not how bright it looks as we all know but how much light its putting in. I have them at 8in from the water, and my corals love them. All exept my red monty that was bleaching cause of the strengh of the light. So i put them on acc mode and its doing wayyy better now. Figure i raise it about 10% every week. Here are the number im using, now take in mind that you have to divide wach number by 50% since its what actually being put out , due to acc mode
CW: 30%
V: 80%
DR: 30%
G: 50%
DB: 80%
RY: 80%
UV: 70%