PDA

View Full Version : rotifer and phyto set up!

Ron Popeil
08/26/2013, 10:32 AM
hello! i was hoping to get some pictures of your rotifer and phyto culturing set ups!

if you could throw in some information about your maintenance schedules, that would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

shifty51008
08/26/2013, 07:38 PM
Ill post pics of mine in the morning but it is just a plain setup. 2 5 gal buckets filled with 4 gal of water, air pump and rotifer floss. I change out 1/3 of the water every morning on each and replace with nsw this way the rotifers get strained and a water change to keep levels good.

For bbs i just use 2 cheap bbs hatcheries with the cut off bottoms of 2l bottles. I have each one set 24 hours apart so the fry always have a good supply. I feed half in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Ron Popeil
08/26/2013, 08:11 PM
Thank you shifty! What does the rotifer floss do? When changing your water, do you pour it through a sieve first? What salinity do you keep your Rotifers at?

shifty51008
08/26/2013, 08:26 PM
Thr rotifer floss picks up the gunk in the buckets, i think it works well i can deff tell a diffrence when i dont use it.

Most of the time i will filter out the rotifers in a seive first and feed uit to the dt otherwise i just dump it down the drain.

I keep all my tanks and rotifers at 30ppt, this way it makes it easier to do water changes on everything, no need to have to make diff salinity batches for each thing. And my corals and anemones do great at these levels also.

shifty51008
08/27/2013, 06:22 AM
here is my setup.
Rotifers
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/CIMG6173_zps7b2fecca.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/CIMG6173_zps7b2fecca.jpg.html)

BBS
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/kau_cinta_ku/CIMG6172_zps47e176ca.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/kau_cinta_ku/media/CIMG6172_zps47e176ca.jpg.html)

Jaypilot
08/27/2013, 09:47 AM
Shifty, nice set up.... just be real carful with you brine shrimp. Your pump should be above the brine shrimp like your rotifer setup or you should at least have a check valve. It may be there and I can't see it thoigh .

shifty51008
08/27/2013, 12:41 PM
thanks, yes there are check valves on each line but even i don't rarely trust them. I will be making a shelf for the pump this weekend though.

Ron Popeil
08/27/2013, 12:59 PM
what do you feed your rotifers? home made phyto or something else? in what amounts?

shifty51008
08/27/2013, 01:33 PM
I'm lazy, lol. I feed RGcomplete 2 times a day, just enough to keep the water tinted green in between feedings I can't really say at what ammount though as I never really measured but I would guess around 3mm each time.

NH Fish
08/27/2013, 03:34 PM
I'm another that has the simple 2-5gal bucket setup and I also feed RG Complete. Again just enough to keep the water green.

Ron Popeil
08/27/2013, 10:44 PM
do you ever do a thorough cleaning of your buckets? or just periodic water changes?

how is your rotifer density?

NH Fish
08/28/2013, 06:58 AM
I siphon out about 3 gal into another bucket about every 3 days. Then clean out the gunk and filter media and put the rots back in, add another gallon and your good to go.

shifty51008
08/28/2013, 02:15 PM
depending on how long it will be before i need my rots I will strain about a gal or so from each bucket and put it into a new bucket with nsw and clean the old ones real good. but usually the rotifer floss keeps the buckets clean fairly good.

every day I will take an old bbs glass vial and dip it in the bucket and then hold it up to the light to see how many rotifers are in there and it usually has a good ammount. thats the only way I really check my density though.

mwilliams62
08/29/2013, 09:26 PM
How do you guys have the floss in the buckets? Pics would be great too...
My rotifer setup is like the above and I too use the RG Complete about 5mm on the syringe that I use.

shifty51008
08/29/2013, 10:10 PM
My floss just sits on the bottom of the buckets and when i take them out to clean i run the floss around the sides. Hanging them is supposed to work good but my way seems to be working fine also.

Dapg8gt
08/29/2013, 10:25 PM
Nice, subbed as I'm thinking of doing this also a pair of clowns that are coming my way. What about roti cultures? Where's the best place to get starters? And the food?

shifty51008
08/29/2013, 10:47 PM
I got my rotifers and dry foods from reeds mariculture

Dapg8gt
08/29/2013, 11:22 PM

Right on thank's I'll check that out.

NH Fish
08/30/2013, 06:18 AM
Go to reeds and get their starter kit with the floss and air tubes. works great.

mwilliams62
08/30/2013, 10:10 AM
My floss just sits on the bottom of the buckets and when i take them out to clean i run the floss around the sides. Hanging them is supposed to work good but my way seems to be working fine also.

Thanks now if only I can find my floss that I had.... I did not use it because I was afraid that all my rotifers would get stuck in there and none to feed to the babies... I will try one bucket and see how it turns out.

shifty51008
08/30/2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks now if only I can find my floss that I had.... I did not use it because I was afraid that all my rotifers would get stuck in there and none to feed to the babies... I will try one bucket and see how it turns out.

I thought the same thing when I was using it, after I stopped using it for a few days the only thing I noticed diffrent was the bucket's got much more dirty. rots still seemed the same.

mwilliams62
08/30/2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks going home and see if I can find it....

versach000
08/31/2013, 10:17 PM
I'm lazy, lol. I feed RGcomplete 2 times a day, just enough to keep the water tinted green in between feedings I can't really say at what ammount though as I never really measured but I would guess around 3mm each time.

RGcomplete ?? where to buy??

reeds mariculture sale RGcomplete ?

shifty51008
08/31/2013, 10:27 PM
http://reefnutrition.com/specialty_feeds.php

it is under the reef nutrition part of reed's website

versach000
08/31/2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for quick reply

Dapg8gt
08/31/2013, 11:05 PM
I'm stoked as they are local to me in San Jose.. Gonna go down in the next month or 2 and pick some brains and gather my future.. So glad I stumbled on this thread

D-Nak
09/01/2013, 11:25 PM
I'm stoked as they are local to me in San Jose.. Gonna go down in the next month or 2 and pick some brains and gather my future.. So glad I stumbled on this thread

They don't allow for local pick up (I asked) but you can pick it up at a LFS for free.

GreshamH
09/01/2013, 11:48 PM
http://reefnutrition.com/specialty_feeds.php

it is under the reef nutrition part of reed's website

Technically it's under the APBreed section, Reef Nutrition just mirrors it :) RGcomplete is a APBreed product.

http://apbreed.com/products.php

GreshamH
09/01/2013, 11:50 PM
They don't allow for local pick up (I asked) but you can pick it up at a LFS for free.

Yeh, no will call at our office. We used to do that but we stopped a few years ago. Locals can also do ground shipping and receive it overnight.

Dapg8gt
09/02/2013, 12:25 AM
OK that's what I saw on the site was pick up will call when looking at the dealers.. Oh well =).. I should be able to get aquaexotic to get it for me then as he sells ocean nutrition although ground is prob easier =)..

What store do you pick up at D-Nak?

D-Nak
09/03/2013, 09:55 AM
OK that's what I saw on the site was pick up will call when looking at the dealers.. Oh well =).. I should be able to get aquaexotic to get it for me then as he sells ocean nutrition although ground is prob easier =)..

I pick up from Aquatic Collection, which is the closest store to me. It also gives me a reason to visit and buy other stuff while I'm there.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) if I know I'm not going to raise any clutches, I let the rotifer culture die off since I find changing water and general upkeep to be a PITA. I do this since I know I can just place another rotifer order and get it the same week. Since my clutches hatch in 8 days, I know exactly when I'll need them.

Ron Popeil
09/10/2013, 11:32 AM
can you increase your rotifer production by raising the temperature and feeding phyto twice a day?

D-Nak
09/10/2013, 12:17 PM
can you increase your rotifer production by raising the temperature and feeding phyto twice a day?

You can, but at higher temperatures the rotifer metabolism rises which does mean more production but also more waste and a higher risk of crashing. What I've done is have a heater in one bucket, and a second bucket without. This way if one crashes, I have a back-up which I can quickly divide into two buckets to keep production moving.

Ron Popeil
09/10/2013, 12:30 PM
ah! that is precisely what i currently have set up! strangely enough, i feel like i have more rotifers in the cooler bucket....

im also using RGcomplete as i have been struggling with my phyto cultures as of late.

GreshamH
09/10/2013, 06:07 PM
ah! that is precisely what i currently have set up! strangely enough, i feel like i have more rotifers in the cooler bucket....

im also using RGcomplete as i have been struggling with my phyto cultures as of late.

What is your daily cull/harvest/water change on both? 30%?

GreshamH
09/10/2013, 06:08 PM

Twice a day is really pushing it. Raising metabolism means you need to feed more often. 3-4 times would be better at higher temps. Continuous is best of course.

Ron Popeil
09/11/2013, 12:57 PM
currently i have two 5 gallon buckets for rotifers. i take out about 30% every two to three days. i keep salinity at about 1.019. one bucket is 80 degrees. the other is 75.

the phyto i was trying to split after a week. however if they didnt fail before the week, they failed after the split.

i had been pulling water from a brute garbage can that i use to hold my water for water changes on my main system. i suspect that there might be something in there that is killing off the phyto. when i was successful in the past, i merely mixed up tap water in a 5 gallon bucket as needed. i may replicate that again for both phyto and rotifer cultures.

Ptyochromis
09/14/2013, 04:01 AM
Ideally the rots shouldn't go a more than 2 hours without food. Baker's yeast make a decent grow out food, but you cannot feed the rots just yeast as it doesn't have everything they need (will still save you tons of money).

I used to have several 2L bottles of phyto culture in my windowsill that I would rotate alternate dripping into the bucket of rots (1-2 drips per sec). I gave up with the phyto because the culture would keep on crashing. Now I just use algae paste which works well, I can get higher rotifer population with it than I ever could with live plankton. The only downside is if you put too much in it will spoil very quickly. 2.5g bucket gets a .5g water change roughly every other day (siphon through a 55Ám screen) and I split the culture weekly.

Ex phyto culture
(ill post rot culture when I can find the pic).

http://i.imgur.com/25MKwDT.jpg

GreshamH
09/16/2013, 04:25 PM
Rot cultures should never go clear (out of food), its a great way to get males and cysts, but horrible for a continual culture.

GreshamH
09/16/2013, 04:28 PM

Can you post the link, or PM me the link, so I can get that corrected. We haven't offered will call in many years, that must have fallen through the cracks :(

d0ughb0y
09/16/2013, 04:45 PM
I setup mine using 2 1 gallon jugs. I just do 100% water change when I split. Too much trouble to do the partial water change on a small volume.

_shorty_
09/16/2013, 07:07 PM

Im brand new to all this, so Can someone explain in detail how the floss is used? I'm struggling with this concept...

I'm guessing 'the crud' falls down into and gets trapped in the floss ( which is basically a tight mesh cloth) ? How do you remove it without taking the whole culture with it?

Anyone have pics of it installed?

d0ughb0y
09/16/2013, 10:37 PM
you don't need the floss. what is more essential is a sieve. I just use a metal coffee filter. You can do a double sieve by using a brine shrimp net to filter out larger particles first. When you do your water change, you can pour all the contents out and pass it through the brine shrimp net then into the coffee filter. Then just release the rotifers captured in the coffee filter in a new container with clean water (its up to you if you want to reuse 50 or 60% of the old water or just do 100%. I find the only way to completely get rid of ammonia is to do 100% water change.

Dapg8gt
09/16/2013, 11:59 PM
Can you post the link, or PM me the link, so I can get that corrected. We haven't offered will call in many years, that must have fallen through the cracks :(

Ill look again to see if I can find it.. I just saw it researching all the different foods and cruising all the different names it's sold under on the main page..

shifty51008
09/17/2013, 08:02 AM
Im brand new to all this, so Can someone explain in detail how the floss is used? I'm struggling with this concept...

I'm guessing 'the crud' falls down into and gets trapped in the floss ( which is basically a tight mesh cloth) ? How do you remove it without taking the whole culture with it?

i really can't take pics of mine as the green water blocks it but all I do is set it on the bottom of my 5 gal. bucket. every morning I use it to wipe off the bottom and sides of the bucket and pull it out, hang it over the bucket for about a min to drain off and go rinse it off under the sink. you would think it would trap the rotifers but I have not noticed any diffrence in my rotifer population with or without it, but using it makes a big diffrence in how clean the buckets stay.

Ron Popeil
09/17/2013, 09:40 PM
im finally having success with my rotifers. i believe the starting culture i received initially wasnt doing very well to begin with.

i currently am running two 5 gallon buckets. i have a single rigid airline tube extending to the bottom and have the bubbles creating a soft rolling boil. one bucket is heated to 80 degrees. the other is closer to 75 degrees. both have a salinity of 1.020. i have ammonia alerts in each bucket.

i am feeding RGcomplete twice a day, approximately 1 mL per bucket.

every three days i am putting in my sieve and draining approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the water out. i have decided to not scrape the sides and the bottom as it just fouls the water and annoys me. i squirt a few drops of seachem prime into the buckets to assist with the ammonia detoxicant already present in RGcomplete.

there is a single 24w fluorescent lamp that stretches across both buckets.

so far this has worked very well for me. i am seeing very rich rotifer production as well as copepods that are also present in the buckets.

shifty51008
09/17/2013, 11:43 PM
Thats great news, it can get fusterating when you seem to be doing everything right with no luck. I have just learned you have to do things your own way.

GreshamH
09/20/2013, 05:14 PM

The Rotifer Floss is a passive filter that collects rotifer poop and algae flock. Its hung vertically in the water column. Just look at how the CCS is set-up to see what I am speaking of:

http://apbreed.com/i/ccs_detail.jpg
http://apbreed.com/product_compact_culture_system.php

We employee a standpipe that the floss is wrapped around in that system. In other systems we sanwhich it between gutter guard mesh and hang that in the culture. We use stainless steel bolts zip-tied to the mesh to weigh on side down.