PDA

View Full Version : Cannister Filter or No Cannister Filter

mluntz
08/26/2013, 10:44 AM
I've been doing a lot of research and I would like to thank everyone on this site who have been so helpful. In my research I've heard a lot of people say that a canister filter is really not necessary if you have enough biological filtration with live rock and a decent protein skimmer. I have over 50 pounds of live rock and an Eshopps psk100h protein skimmer. I am currently running a Fluval 306 canister filter also. My question is if I decide to continue running the filter, is there some alternative media I could run in it possibly for mechanical or chemical filtration that would be beneficial to the system other than what comes in the standard filter media.
Thanks again!

ganjero
08/26/2013, 11:05 AM
If you don't do maintenance to it weekly I would remove sponges or bioballs and just use to run GFO (Granular Ferrix Oxide, phosphate remover) and GAC (Granular Active Carbon).

The sponges and bioballs will raise your nitrates if they are not clean on weekly basis, and the rock and sand should give you all the surface necessary for biological filtration.

j tavares
08/28/2013, 03:10 AM
as above I use carbon w media GFO or polyfiters and never had the so called nitrate issue just do reg Maintenance