PDA

View Full Version : 6105 Power Supply Needed when Using Neptune Controller

tfrechette
08/26/2013, 03:26 PM
I have a Neptune controller connected to the pump and had the power supply also connected. I unplugged the power supply but the pump was still running.

So I guess this makes sense if I don't use the power supply when connected to the Neptune. But the Neptune outputs 0-10 VDC. The power supply has a 3 jumpers for 12,18 or 24. So does this mean the Neptune can only drive the pump up to 10 volts where the power supply can do more? Or, do I really need the power supply and the Neptune sends 0-10 to tell the power supply what to output.

This sounds like a really stupid question.

rvitko
08/26/2013, 03:49 PM
It would be impossible for the Neptune to power the pump. However the power supply has capacitors and can run a pump for a very, very short time after it is unplugged, I think that is what you saw. You need the power supply, the pump gets a 0-8.5V control signal at very low amperage (800 mA) and that is what the Neptune is sending.

tfrechette
08/26/2013, 06:03 PM
That's pretty interesting because I've had it unplugged for 3 days and it's still spinning.

Okay, plugging it back in.

rvitko
08/27/2013, 12:20 PM
I don't think it should be possible, but I have never used a Neptune. I know they do transmit a low voltage signal but it should be an amp at most and barely able to run the pump, I think it could damage the Neptune power supply if it is working.