PDA

View Full Version : Strange Chemistry

NBE1
08/26/2013, 04:51 PM
My tank is almost three years old which is a 65 gal overflow. I'm running an mp 40 for circulation and tunze return pump at about 400 gal/per hour so there is enough flow. I have a trigger systems sump and bursa skimmer. So my question is ever since day one I have low alk and HIGH CA. I'm running 104-109 for alk and 580-620 for CA. I have used sachem salinity salt up until the last 3 water changes and now have Red Sea pro salt. I have been using API, Elos, and Hanna checkers and they all read about the same. Mag is usually good around 1390-1450. I've tried some alk buff but it changes nothing. I use ro/ di water for all changes and top off. Tap water has never touched the tank. Temps run 77.2-78.6.

Should I be worried or do something to change. Fish are great my hammer coral and bubble tip are growing and I've gained 14 inches on my tabling acro in a year and a half. I lost a blue Hawkins that never really took off. Any suggestions or am I making too much of this?

I do not supplement anything.

behlke
08/26/2013, 05:40 PM
Try dosing baking soda to increase the alk in the aquarium. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

NBE1
08/26/2013, 05:49 PM
Try dosing baking soda to increase the alk in the aquarium. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll try that. Didn't know if that would compete with o2 in the water or be dangerous. I just worry about adding some pepermint shrimp to eat my aptasia if this chemistry would be harmful to them.

disc1
08/26/2013, 06:28 PM
I'll try that. Didn't know if that would compete with o2 in the water or be dangerous. I just worry about adding some pepermint shrimp to eat my aptasia if this chemistry would be harmful to them.

There's absolutely no reaction between the baking soda and oxygen.

NBE1
08/26/2013, 06:31 PM
There's absolutely no reaction between the baking soda and oxygen.

Thank you. How much baking soda for about 70 gal of water total to bring the alk slowly up from 104 to about 120?

jerpa
08/26/2013, 06:58 PM
Thank you. How much baking soda for about 70 gal of water total to bring the alk slowly up from 104 to about 120?

You can use this Reef Calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) to figure it out.

NBE1
08/26/2013, 07:37 PM
You can use this Reef Calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) to figure it out.

That is awesome!!!! Thank you