PDA

View Full Version : Electrical outlet question for fish room.

sfsuphysics
08/26/2013, 05:38 PM
Are there any special outlets that would be beneficial to use in a fish room that potentially could be quite humid? Well other than GFCI outlets that is. Would an outdoor outlet cover be useful at all? Something like this
http://www.fryeelectricinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/gfi-outdoor1.jpg

I plan on having both DJ type power strip, as well as a controller's power strip plugged in, so seems that covering the outlet might only protect that but not other things.

Electrically speaking am I good to go with just a GFCI?

jlholimon
08/26/2013, 05:50 PM
The outdoor outlet only protects from a splash or rain, it wouldn't block humidity of the room. I can't remember which one it was, but there was a big tank build that electronics in a kind of large marine box with a tight fitting grommet/rubber seal that seemed like it would keep most of the moisture out. I believe I also saw one where the electronics were in a small cabinet/closet adjacent to the fish room, but not in it.

If you don't have a fish room you could consider doing what I'm going to do which is use a partition is in the side of my stand to keep the electronics/sockets away from open water. I will probably also try some sort of top/bottom vents to allow fresh air to move in and keep the humidity down.

As always drip loops are IMPORTANT. I learned this in a shockingly rude manner, if you catch my drift... :)

SGT_York
08/27/2013, 02:06 PM
Just GFCI is adequate. pic above won't assist with humidity. Standard outlets work in florida, hawaii, and the amazon jungle. the copper tubing is coated to prevent corrosion and the outlets themselves are brass. No need to worry. If you humidity is above 80% you will need more ventilation to prevent mold/fungus growth in the room.

cincyreefer1234
08/27/2013, 07:38 PM
You could always purchase a weather proof box and modify it for your needs

Arthur1
08/27/2013, 08:22 PM
As SGT pointed out, GFCI. I do have the outlets with the covers in place in a particular account b/c my client likes to fiddle in his aquarium a little too much. I haven't gotten to utilize one yet, but a humidistat could be utilized if air moisture is of concern.

HECS
08/27/2013, 08:25 PM
You won't have any issues with a standard GFCI, remember to check it by hitting the test button occasionally. It never hurts to replace them every few years.

sleepydoc
08/28/2013, 10:06 AM
If the room is so humid that it causes enough condensation to trip the GFCI outlet you've got other issues...

sfsuphysics
08/28/2013, 09:21 PM
well there will be humidity control, I was just worried about potentially the long term effects on plugs. I can say that I have never had a tank on a stand that was completely enclosed so I don't know the effect of that kind of humidity on plugs and what not.

I'm thinking 2 20 amp circuits brought to the fishroom, or 1 20 amp dedicated, and 1 20 amp shared with other plugs in the area because nothing else is plugged into the surrounding room as it is.

sleepydoc
08/29/2013, 04:53 PM
Shouldn't be any problems. The humidity over a sump in a stand is likely higher than what you will encounter in the fish room. Since almost everyone has an outlet strip of some sort in their stand, if there were problems all of our electrical devices would be cutting out left and right!

KZ4ZZZ
08/29/2013, 07:11 PM
I didn't see anything about anyone using a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) I use a Smart UPS 1000 and everything stays up and running when a storm or Florida Power and Light resets the Grid.. it beeps but it keeps everything running 100%. I also have one power supply (110v to 220v) converter to run my skimmer pump, thats 220 volts 55 watts.

uncleof6
08/31/2013, 05:30 PM
I didn't see anything about anyone using a Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) I use a Smart UPS 1000 and everything stays up and running when a storm or Florida Power and Light resets the Grid.. it beeps but it keeps everything running 100%. I also have one power supply (110v to 220v) converter to run my skimmer pump, thats 220 volts 55 watts.

That is because it is off topic for this thread. Aside from that, a UPS is not designed or intended to run AC motors. AC motors require special inverters that produce a true sign wave, in order to run properly.

KZ4ZZZ
09/01/2013, 07:41 PM
[violation]

uncleof6
09/01/2013, 10:14 PM
Great, however this is not about electronics, it is about AC Motors; which are not related to computers, high powered ham radio/amp equip, nor do they relate to 30 years installing data/ electronics/microwave/tv/stereo fans or small servo motors. So in reality, you have no experience with this at all. Just a bunch of slurs, to put your point across. The information I presented is first year electrical apprenticeship level, and accurate information.

You truly debunk the concept of a "friendly family oriented venue.":rolleyes:

Dino
09/02/2013, 04:57 AM
Lets all move along folks and get back on topic. :)

Thanks,
-Dino
RC Staff