PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly dead!

ryguy886
08/27/2013, 08:04 PM
So I've had this fish for a few months now. Very healthy in QT and also very healthy and eating very well in the DT. I was concerned about him adjusting to the DT with all my other fish and maintaining his appetite and health, although he showed no outward signs of disease ever, today when the lights came on he was no where to be found, I finally spotted him behind a piece of live rock and he was breathing heavy and no swimming, his balance was off and he was on his side. I instantly went in with the net to remove him (he tried to swim away) and I placed him back into the QT to start a treatment, but after 25 minutes in QT he was gone. I noticed he had some dark brown/black shaded on his body (almost like the lights had been off and just come on), which was never seen before? All other fish are doing great! no signs of any infection and all eating very well.

What do you guys think killed him? no injuries of any kind, and no bumps or lumps anywhere? I am stumped?

Thanks,
Ryan

ryguy886
08/27/2013, 08:07 PM
tank is a 150 gallon and has been running for about 1 year.

Water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: >5ppm
pH: 8.4
Temp: 79.0
Calcium: 415ppm
Magnesium: 1325ppm

HumbleFish
08/27/2013, 09:34 PM
Do you have an anemone that might have stung him? Or possibly a coral? Something had to cause the dark brown/black shaded spot you saw.

hollister
08/27/2013, 10:49 PM
Heavy breathing could be a sign of low Oxygen levels. Whats used for water flow in there?

MrTuskfish
08/28/2013, 12:13 PM
I don't think you'll ever know what killed him. A lot of CBBs seem to die at the 1-3 month mark. If someone did some research; I'd bet there is a connection between the deaths and the origin of the fish. Fish from Indonesia (including Bali) & The Philippines are collected with very little oversight; just too many islands in those countries to police. I avoid buying any fish from there. CBBs from Australia are expensive, but worth it. CBBs from the Solomon Islands and other similar locations are a much safer bet; IMO & IME.

HumbleFish
08/28/2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think you'll ever know what killed him. A lot of CBBs seem to die at the 1-3 month mark. If someone did some research; I'd bet there is a connection between the deaths and the origin of the fish. Fish from Indonesia (including Bali) & The Philippines are collected with very little oversight; just too many islands in those countries to police. I avoid buying any fish from there. CBBs from Australia are expensive, but worth it. CBBs from the Solomon Islands and other similar locations are a much safer bet; IMO & IME.

+1 Just another reason why online places like LA have a leg up on LFS. On LA, I can see exactly where their specimens are collected, and make my choices accordingly. Ask that ? at most LFS and you just get a funny :uhoh3: look.

ryguy886
08/28/2013, 07:48 PM
good to know! I have found that fish I get from online vendors are much healthier and have an easier time adjusting.

@ hollister, I have plenty of flow in the tank 2 power heads on a wave current and 4 returns from sump. Sometimes I feel like it is too much for some of the corals and fish, but I have the returns adjusted to 3/4 flow.

SDguy
08/28/2013, 08:05 PM
I also think people greatly underestimate how much food CBB need to take in to live long term. Not that this is your case (I don't know), but I can't tell you how many photos I've seen posted of peoples' "healthy" CBB and they are skinny... just surviving IMO, not thriving.

MrTuskfish
08/29/2013, 08:59 AM
I also think people greatly underestimate how much food CBB need to take in to live long term. Not that this is your case (I don't know), but I can't tell you how many photos I've seen posted of peoples' "healthy" CBB and they are skinny... just surviving IMO, not thriving.

+1

CBBs also need peace & quiet. They don't handle aggression, or even very active tanks well. This is the PC way of calling them "wussy". They are gorgeous, interesting fish though and you almost have to center your tank around the needs of these guys or they won't do well. We've had ours about six years and I've never had to do so much experimenting with tankmates for one fish. He's ended up in our 240 reef, does some coral damage; but that's my wife & daughters responsibility. Worth it though, visitors always seem to comment on him.