PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Pickles07
08/28/2013, 02:48 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to reef central and also new to the marine world of fishkeeping. I recently bought a Marine Nano bio reef. Have added the live sand, salted RO water and live rock. The live rock has been in for 5 days. I have been testing the water daily. Didn't really notice a spike in the ammonia or nitrite however the nitrate seems a little on the high side. Is this normal, I think that the water change is due in the next couple of days. Is it best to do this earlier rather than later to protect the critters etc in the live rock. I have noticed lots of little worms, bristle stars, mini star fish, feather dusters and some glove coral. I have also noticed some flat worms and have read that they can be a nuisance, would you recommend a 6 line wrasse as one of the first fish introductions to keep these under control. Obviously after the clean up crew have gone in first. The tank is 94L but would guess that it is more like 70L when you consider the filter and live rock. I am looking for a stocking recommendation. Could you please advise on clean up crew members, fish, and soft corals good for adding fr a beginner that have a good survival rate and when would be best to add at which point.

Cheers, Christian

terrypercula
08/28/2013, 05:26 PM
There's a lot to address here. First I'd say the reason you didn't notice any major spikes I'd because either A. The live rock and sand kick started your cycle that quickly or B. The cycle hasn't really begun yet. I probably wouldn't add anything for at least a couple more weeks. Wait for the diatom bloom then do weekly water changes. Livestock side is really what you're into just make sure what you put in us compatible and the general rule of thumb is to add the least aggressive fish first and the most aggressive last. Also I'd say 90% of soft corals are easy to maintain and would be a good place to start. Then if comfortable move to some LPS and SPS later on

ExpensiveHobby
08/28/2013, 05:32 PM
did u do anything to start the cycle like ghost feeding? Dropping a small piece of raw shrimp in the tank will get that ammonia up

Pickles07
08/29/2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys. I have been dropping in a little bit of flake. I have read about dropping in a raw prawn, is that really the best way to start the cycle. The live rock I bought was cured and is full of life etc.

I spoke to my local aquatic shop that has been there for years where I bought the live rock. They mentioned that in my nano I should only keep either fish or corals but not both. He said this because he said when the fish get white spot which they will!!! The treatment to remove the white spot will kill my corals. Is this correct? I have seen lots of pics of Nanos on here that have both.

Cheers, Christian

kkoch
08/29/2013, 02:43 PM
I am learning that right now in my 5g. The fish you can put in a nano won't cost a lot like O. clowns and royal gramma. I just lost my gramma to ick and the clowns will probably get it, maybe not. I have well over $250 in coral and the fish will die before my corals get hit with copper, etc. I have no QT.

terrypercula
08/29/2013, 03:51 PM
I have an overloaded nano right now full of fish inverts and corals. You're not going to get ich instantly because it's a small tank. Just take precautions know what should be together and what shouldn't and you'll be OK.

brvheart
08/30/2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys. I have been dropping in a little bit of flake. I have read about dropping in a raw prawn, is that really the best way to start the cycle. The live rock I bought was cured and is full of life etc.

I spoke to my local aquatic shop that has been there for years where I bought the live rock. They mentioned that in my nano I should only keep either fish or corals but not both. He said this because he said when the fish get white spot which they will!!! The treatment to remove the white spot will kill my corals. Is this correct? I have seen lots of pics of Nanos on here that have both.

This is frustrating. It's easy to rip on LFS's on message boards, but what he told you is just stupid. You can most definitely keep both fish and corals in a nano. Many people have been doing it for many years. And the first thing that pops into my head regarding him telling you that you will definitely get "white spot" is that maybe HE GIVES white spot to a lot of customer's tanks that buy from him. Sure, any fish from any store or supplier can be/get sick, but after many years in this hobby, I've learned that the health and quality of your tank has a lot to do with where you shop. And what idiot is going to throw some copper in their display tank and kill their corals in order to treat a sick fish?? I would never tell someone not to shop at their local LFS due to an ignorant salesperson; this is to be expected. But you're doing the right thing by asking questions here. This is a great and helpful community, and an unbeatable source of information.

In regard to your tank cycle, they can go a few different ways. If the rock you used is good quality, you may never see the typical "cycle spikes". I recently started a new tank with good quality live rock and basically the tank cycled in about a week with no significant spikes. That is most definitely not to say that this is what's going on in your tank. Just saying it's possible. I would operate on the safe side and follow the advice above.

deleau
08/31/2013, 03:03 PM
Best advise for new marine tanks...go slow...better to add livestock a week (or month) late than a week early.

Pickles07
09/04/2013, 02:17 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. Right I have done a 10% water change, however the Nitrate is still reading at approx 20ppm. I believe that I have the diatom bloom, as the sand has turned brownish and so have section of the live rock mainly where the flow from the wave maker is pointed at it. Quick question is it ok to point the wave maker at the liverock, there is a very small glove coral on the rock that came with it, it seems to have survived and the number of hands has increased (good sign yes?). I have introduced 3 red legged hermit crabs (tiny), 4 nassarius snails, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 feather duster tube worm. Also I have decreased the lighting down to only being on for 6 hours from 8, to try and help get rid of the diatom. Am I taking the right steps. Will the nitrate eventually go down??

Regards, Christian