PDA

View Full Version : Long distance ATO?

EDJFA
08/28/2013, 03:34 PM
How far is too far away to have the resevoir for an auto top off. Most of them I've seen have been either in tanks/containers in the stand directly under the tank. Others are in the fish room just a few feet away from the tank.

How about roughly 30 feet? I'm setting my new tank up in my office. The utility room I've got is about 30 feet away from the display tank when you take into consideration the distance from the sink up into the drop ceiling, over to the display area, and then down to the tank. I've got the walls open to run the electric and was thinking now would be the right time to try to plumb in some small water lines if I was going to do it. Lugging hoses or buckets of water around my office isn't ideal.

Looking for suggestions or examples on how to accomplish this.

Pastey
08/28/2013, 03:37 PM
If you're going to do that, might as well run some water change lines too and just cap them in case you wind up not using them!

As for the distance and the pumps, it depends on the pump and the line. I'm sure someone has the answer you're looking for though.

Dapg8gt
08/28/2013, 03:41 PM
Litermeter III I believe can be run long distances but not certain on the sensors. I've read a few threads on where they had them running with high head pressure so same thing kinda..

Breadman03
08/28/2013, 03:43 PM
Before you close the walls up, what about running your entire sump in that closet?

viper12775
08/28/2013, 03:59 PM
I ran about 60 feet on a gravity ato it went from my garage to my bedroom tank worked great

Epicreefer
08/28/2013, 07:01 PM
If it's a dosing pump with many you will be ok, only a very low end dosing pump won't be able to deal with the resistance and even then I expect it would work but not as fast. Just run 1/4" poly(ro) tubing through the wall get a pump rated for 20psi and you'll be fine. I've used booster pumps, typically used for ro units, able to do 40-60 psi and a llc. Typicaly we set the booster to a timer so it isn't dead headed 23 hours a day, set the timer right, probably only a minute a few times a day, and you have another back up in case the llc or float valve fails to not flood your office.

sfsuphysics
08/28/2013, 09:19 PM
I have something like 20 feet of tubing from my aqualifter, not 20 feet of head, just 20 feet of distance and it runs fine.