PDA

View Full Version : So I'm about to get in a fight with this protein skimmer. (Reef Octopus BH1000)

cab395
08/28/2013, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone. My protein skimmer arrived today and we haven't been exactly getting along so far. I took it out of the box and assembled it as per it's very bad instructions (which I expected from reading reviews), and now it is skimming. I guess it's "Breaking In" like I've read all skimmers do, but I'm sort of convinced that this thing is "Breaking Bad" right now instead.

Okay, so in all seriousness, here's my situation. The skimmer is running, but there are so many bubbles that the collection cup is filling in around 10 minutes. Now, if I lift the collection cup any higher, there is an overflow that goes to the outflow pipe so it will not skim anymore. Do I need to sit here and empty it every 10 minutes while it breaks in or is there something else I can do? Please help. This is my first encounter with a protein skimmer, so I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks for any and all help!!!

PS.- I have the silencer (black tube) on the intake right now. Should I have the air valve on right now until "The bubbles come out perfectly" as per the instructions? What the heck does that even mean, LOL? And then replace it with the silencer? Sorry for my confusion! And thanks for the help!!!!

cab395
08/28/2013, 05:45 PM
Okay, just so everyone knows where I'm at... I have replaced the silencer with the air valve and have slowed the air intake down so that the bubbles just BARELY climb over the top so the collection cup fills much slower, but now what? Do I wait for it to "break in" (again, whatever that means, LOL) and then replace it with the silencer? Even though the silencer will not slow the air intake at all?

steelwrap
08/28/2013, 07:52 PM
I have a bh2000 I think they are similar. At times my cup is up higher than the overflow hole. I place my cup so the bottom hits at the top of the bubbles, eventually the bubbles will rise up into the collection cup. Hope that made sense. Your exsesive bubbles with probably go away after break in

cab395
08/28/2013, 08:50 PM
Awesome, great advice, thanks! That seems to be just perfect for bubble creation :) .