PDA

View Full Version : Has Sanjay Reviewed Kessil or Maxspect Razor LED yet?

that Fish Guy
08/28/2013, 10:05 PM
Has Dr. Sanjay Joshi reviewed any of the Kessil LED's (A150, A350, or A360) or Maxspect Razor LED yet?

I ask because he just reviewed the Radion Pro, AI Hydra, and GHL Mitras.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

FlyPenFly
08/28/2013, 11:24 PM
Yes, just google it.

I had the razors, didn't like the purple look from them. They also completely lack reds, yellows, greens, etc. Just whites, blues, and violets.

asid61
08/28/2013, 11:42 PM
Yes, just google it.

I had the razors, didn't like the purple look from them. They also completely lack reds, yellows, greens, etc. Just whites, blues, and violets.
Yellows and greens are useless for corals. Reds are covered by the warm whites.

FlyPenFly
08/28/2013, 11:47 PM
Depends on the type of coral and if you want to bring the full coloration of some types of SPS coral out.

Also, my fish just didn't look right under Razors. Imagine if you viewed your friends or wife only with a UVL Purple+ bulb, that's what it does to your tank.

Pacific Sun RD
08/29/2013, 01:09 AM
Can you prove it? Why do you think the spectrum waves coming in the field of green and yellow is useless?

evolutionZ
08/29/2013, 04:57 AM
why do some people say the razor are purple? i have a 16k on with A:70% B:100% and they look crisp white with a blue tinge to me. definitely not purple at all. quite a few agreed with me, while some simply keep saying they look purple.

that Fish Guy
08/29/2013, 10:57 AM
why do some people say the razor are purple? i have a 16k on with A:70% B:100% and they look crisp white with a blue tinge to me. definitely not purple at all. quite a few agreed with me, while some simply keep saying they look purple.

I wanted a Razor but now I do not after reading this as I just checked their Facebook site and all the pictures do look "Purple" like the Kessil A360.

I prefer "Blue" like the Kessil A350.

Maybe when there is a New Razor I will consider it again but not anymore.

asid61
08/29/2013, 04:42 PM
Can you prove it? Why do you think the spectrum waves coming in the field of green and yellow is useless?

Because chlorophyll A or B don't use it. And of carotenoids, only peridinin and PCP use green, and they also use blue light. Also, white leds cover a lot of green and a little yellow too. Some colors do come from green, but as I said, that is in whites.
If you wanted to omit white leds, then green could be pretty useful to bring out SPS color. But most fixtures don't do that, particularly not the Radion.

Pacific Sun RD
08/29/2013, 04:53 PM
Ok, so Chlorophyll A and B dont use it(I can't agree with that - they are using it but not so efficient like blue and red light).
Do you think that corals are able to build so many strong and different pigment without 'green' and "orange" light?(green for me is between 510 to 550nm, orange - 575-595nm)?
Useless for corals = useless for corals host pigments also? :)
If yes - maybe you will try to keep your tank under "combo" T5 bulb setup WITHOUT t5 bulbs which emit green and orange light (all "white" t5 bulbs ARENT full spectrum -they are like monochromatic leds) - and we will talk about results after few months.. ;)

FlyPenFly
08/29/2013, 04:58 PM
SPS pigmentation is excited by yellow and greens.

asid61
08/29/2013, 05:01 PM
Ok, so Chlorophyll A and B dont use it(I can agree with that - they are using it but not so efficient like blue and red light).
Do you think that corals are able to build so many strong and different pigment without 'green' and "prange" light?(green for me is between 510 to 550nm, orange - 575-595nm)?
Useless for corals = useless for corals host pigments also?

Green light is covered by whites. So are orange and yellow. While it is true that corals get slightly "washed out" by the excess of "white" light, if you try to include every wavelength of discrete led then it will have the same effect.

Pacific Sun RD
08/29/2013, 05:03 PM
not the same effect - please compare spectrum of LED lamp using white leds and that one - which use other colours which are important in pigments intensify only(and CRI increase - for our eyes).
They are looking completly different - like using 14KK and 20KK halide bulb.

I posted it before - do you think that they are the same?(spectrum) Or - we and corals "see" them as the same? :) (do you remember that thread when we was talking about that? :) )

http://www.pacific-sun.eu/download/compare_s.jpg

Coral Dreams
08/29/2013, 05:05 PM
Can we say Color Blind LOL!!!!!

asid61
08/29/2013, 06:09 PM
not the same effect - please compare spectrum of LED lamp using white leds and that one - which use other colours which are important in pigments intensify only(and CRI increase - for our eyes).
They are looking completly different - like using 14KK and 20KK halide bulb.

I posted it before - do you think that they are the same?(spectrum) Or - we and corals "see" them as the same? :) (do you remember that thread when we was talking about that? :) )

http://www.pacific-sun.eu/download/compare_s.jpg

I see what you mean. There is a much larger green "hump" with the discrete board.
On the other hand, look at the graph for a warm white. A big amount of light is red and yellow and green, and blue is not so much.

jwoyshnar
08/29/2013, 06:33 PM

No offense but this comment has really bothered me. I use to be close friends with a very well known name in the led market. He swore by this theory and his lights reflected that. I made a fixture using colors besides the ones and showed him above his frag tank. All of his corals changed color and looked better. He admitted that it did look better but still he said those words. Adding that spectrum would have added the colors he was missing.