PDA

View Full Version : BioCube 29 HQI - Want to switch to LEDs

swilton
08/29/2013, 03:10 PM
Hello reef community. This is my first post so have mercy on me.

I have a 29g Biocube that has been up and running for nearly 3 years now. I would like to change out the HQI metal halide fixture for an LED fixture. I love the MH but hate the heat and energy bill it produces. I have seen several fixtures on the market (Maxspect, EcoTech, AI, Ecoxotic etc) but really have little/no experience with LEDs. I am not looking to DIY - I want the convenience of buying a complete fixture.

I know everyone has different needs/preferences when it comes to lighting (or any equipment for that matter). I am just hoping someone can provide their experience with changing HQI to an LED system or at least point me in the right direction (I'm sure this has been a common thread on RC but I haven't found what I've been looking for).

Thanks, and I will also try to upload some pics of my tank.

Biocubehqi
08/29/2013, 04:35 PM
Personally reef breeders has a really nice led for cheap that would work perfect for our tank. Well two really the photon 16 and one for a cube, don't remember the name. If you wanna spend a lil bit then ai sol or vega would be good too!

swilton
08/29/2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks. I did see the Reef Breeders LEDs. They have nice features and are affordable. Definitely a brand to think about.

I guess one thing I am still pondering is how I want to mount the LEDs. The HQI fixture that came with the biocube is a bit bulky but it is strong and integrates well overall. Some of the LED fixtures I have seen include hanging attachments while others have no mounting equipment in the box. I'd hate to drop $350-$450 on a fixture and then have to spend another $80-150 to get the light over the tank. Any ideas out there on mounting an LED to a biocube....I'd really like to have a tank mount with some kind of hinge so I can work in the tank easily. Thanks

Biocubehqi
08/29/2013, 05:18 PM
One person on this sight put an ai nano or sol in his mh fixture. Gutted it out and it was a perfect fit... Something to look up.

swilton
08/29/2013, 05:27 PM
I am actually starting to really like that Reef Breeders Nova A4 (the cube model). Maybe I will just have to settle for a hanging apparatus

Biocubehqi
08/29/2013, 08:25 PM
Come tax time I plan on getting the same! Also customer service is great, I emailed them back and got a response shortly after.

webersp
08/29/2013, 10:51 PM
Have you checked out the Kessil a150w cannons? I've been very happy with them, though some people say the par isn't where they'd like it to be. I haven't tested the par on mine but all of my SPS are doing fine. They also aren't dimmable.

swilton
08/30/2013, 09:33 PM
Have you checked out the Kessil a150w cannons? I've been very happy with them, though some people say the par isn't where they'd like it to be. I haven't tested the par on mine but all of my SPS are doing fine. They also aren't dimmable.

I just moved. Today I went to my new LFS (Side story, they are amazing....tons of exotic frags for good prices. Picked up a couple really nice Acros for $9.99 a pop and a "Miami Hurricane" Chalice for $19.99. They are also very knowledgeable and friendly). Anyways - the guy was a huge Kessil fan. He was explaining to me that the spectrum the Kessil (pendant) produces is actually better than what you can create with multiple diodes or individual leds combined in a "puck" which is what you get with an LED fixture. This is all new to me, but I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on the subject. Seems like a lot of trade offs (spectrum, intensity, actual visible color of the coral etc.) If I were to consider a Kessil I would go with the A360, Kessil's newest offering. With the A360 you can control both the intensity and the color temp. Seems pretty cool. Again if anyone is an LED expert please chime in. Thanks

kellerexpress
08/31/2013, 04:32 AM
I just put a photon 16 on my hqi biocube, looks awesome

terrypercula
08/31/2013, 05:42 AM
I just moved. Today I went to my new LFS (Side story, they are amazing....tons of exotic frags for good prices. Picked up a couple really nice Acros for $9.99 a pop and a "Miami Hurricane" Chalice for $19.99. They are also very knowledgeable and friendly). Anyways - the guy was a huge Kessil fan. He was explaining to me that the spectrum the Kessil (pendant) produces is actually better than what you can create with multiple diodes or individual leds combined in a "puck" which is what you get with an LED fixture. This is all new to me, but I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on the subject. Seems like a lot of trade offs (spectrum, intensity, actual visible color of the coral etc.) If I were to consider a Kessil I would go with the A360, Kessil's newest offering. With the A360 you can control both the intensity and the color temp. Seems pretty cool. Again if anyone is an LED expert please chime in. Thanks

There is a belief which may hold merit that certain kelvin ratings are best for growth and certain are best for coloration. I'd imagine their 10k fixture is great for growth and their idr if it's tuna blue or deep ocean or whatever is closer to 20k and best for coloration. I tend to agree except I believe having a full spectrum light adds benefits you can't get out of a standard 10k or 20k. For the most part I'd say he's right though.

swilton
09/03/2013, 03:27 PM
I just put a photon 16 on my hqi biocube, looks awesome

I emailed Reef Breeders and they suggested their Photon Nova A4 (nano) over the Photon 16 for the Biocube 29. Any reason you went with the Photon 16 over the Nova A4?

kellerexpress
09/05/2013, 04:38 AM
Either one will work, I just figured the 16 may give me more flexibility if I upgrade to a larger tank someday.

saf1
09/05/2013, 10:08 AM
I didn't have the light you do to start with, just the default lamps that Oceanic sent in their 29 gallon cubes. Having said that, and having 2 of the tanks set up, I just went with a retro fit LED kit.

One of the tanks uses Rapid LED's retro. It has a bunch of zoa's, rose bubble tips (started with 1, now have 3 due to splitting), some blue clove polyps, Kenya trees, green star polyps, pair of mated clowns and a goby. This kit uses the Cree LED's and MeanWell drivers. Nice fit, upgraded fans, and when I ordered I used the dimmable MeanWells for later use. Added my own potentiometers to dim currently while I wait for a controller later.

Second tank I went with Steve's LED's. Again, retro and uses the Luxeon / Phillips LED's. More blue than Rapid's which does a 50/50 royal to white ratio. Steve's again is dimmable, using his custom drivers and this tank is managed by my ReefAngel controller. It has a Wrasse, Bi-color bleny, monti's, green star polyps, birds nest, zoas, Kenya tree, brown / gold leather, 2 hammers, and a cleaner shrimp.

Between the two I really can't say there is much difference has they fit and are well built. 250 bucks so both are a good buy in my opinion. Both kits will allow you to keep anything on the market today. In fact, you will want to dim them has I have both of the tanks running at 90% power. The tank with Steve's is actually a bit lower.

Anyway - you can also do it on your own for cheaper if you want. Just depends on what you want to spend and controlling the heat in the end. LED's are cooler but you still need to factor in cooling for longevity.

Sidefunk
09/05/2013, 10:11 AM
I went to a radeon and honestly i think i just want to go back to my hqi fixture. Could just be that i haven't been able to dial in the setting to my tanks liking but considering that i didn't have to think about such things with hqi, in my opinion, it better suits me. Just something to think about before going led.

I haven't swithed back yet but am seriously contemplating doing so soon. I do however have a chiller which i have concluded is the best way to go because ambient room temperature would swing temps regardless of the hqi.