PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Dragon Eel Eating Problem

1ucky
08/29/2013, 05:51 PM
I currently have a Japanese Dragon Eel that has stopped eating (almost 4 weeks now). I have tried feeding him all types of foods to no avail; he's currently in a 300g set-up. I would feed him (along with my Banana Eel) 3 times a week and he ate like no tomorrow. Any ideas as to what else I should try? Thanks.

slowwrx137
08/29/2013, 06:11 PM
Has anything changed with the tank recently (when it stopped eating)? I've moved my tank a few times over the years and every time my snowflake eel stops eating for a few weeks.

1ucky
08/29/2013, 06:26 PM
It actually stopped eating two days before I left to Europe. He was in a 120g set-up; long story short, the tank started leaking from the bottom seal two weeks into my trip. I had him transferred to my 300g where he just hangs out on one end of the tank and just ignores food:headwallblue:.

cooterbrown
08/29/2013, 09:21 PM
I had a moray go 5 months without eating only to start again and live. They're tough. I wouldn't worry too crazy much. Well I would if I had an eel that expensive. But they can go on hunger strikes

1ucky
08/29/2013, 10:08 PM
I had a moray go 5 months without eating only to start again and live. They're tough. I wouldn't worry too crazy much. Well I would if I had an eel that expensive. But they can go on hunger strikes

I'm just worried because he's been looking thinner. Sometimes I find him breathing upside down but quickly turns around as soon as he sees me. Don't know if this is normal behavior. Thanks.

themoraykeeper
08/30/2013, 01:10 AM
Does the tank have enough caves and holes for both eels? sounds like he hasn't really adjusted to the new tank. I had my eel stop eating for a few weeks when he didn't have enough hiding spots, that and not enough variation in food, but you got that covered :)
Beautiful eels anyways, hope he starts eating soon for you!

1ucky
08/30/2013, 06:56 AM
The tank has over 300lbs of live rock in it, so he has a lot hiding space. I guess when I start to see the smaller fish missing that means he gained his appetite back, lol.

happyjack
08/30/2013, 07:27 AM
So long as your water papameters are good and he's not being picked on ,he will be fine.

1ucky
08/30/2013, 03:44 PM
All parameters are good so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. He's a Sandy survivor (no power for almost a week)...