PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal

SaltwaterRN
08/29/2013, 08:28 PM
I guys I'm getting back into the hobby. I haven't had a tank for about 5 years or so. I'm in the process of collecting equipment and I just bought a skimmer for $75. Wondering if its a quality skimmer. I cant find any quality reviews. http://www.thereefpro.com/product.php?productid=16547&cat=285&page=2 Thanks!

snulma1
08/30/2013, 07:17 AM
Its a decent recirc skimmer, you may want to tinker with it to get good skimmate, but for 75 bucks you did ok!

Fizz71
08/30/2013, 08:03 AM
IMO recircs allow a much better control of skimming...I keep wanting to mod mine to make it a recirc but I'm afraid I'd break it. The price was definitely good if there are no cracks or leaks and all the parts are there (and work).

Just don't take that "up to 100g" to heart...mfgs always overrate their skimmers with the caveat that they work up to Xg as long as it's "lightly stocked". The diameter of that skimmer chamber does not appear to be very big and it's a very basic venturi style setup so I'd say a 75g reef w/ sump is probably REALLY pushing it. The advantage is as a recirc the skimmer is more effective at that size and venturi type than a non-recirc would be.

What size tank were you looking for? 55g would probably be good for it.

IowaJeeping
08/30/2013, 08:16 AM
Just think of it as its better then no skimmer at all and can upgrade at any time

dinger28
08/30/2013, 11:12 AM
That's a great skimmer for certain size tanks. What size tank is it?

dkeller_nc
08/30/2013, 11:35 AM
As far as a "good deal", for $75 I'd say you did OK. However, the price that was in the link you provided would not be a good deal in my opinion. $479 will buy you a lot more skimmer than that unit.