PDA

View Full Version : cycling - low nitrite, high nitrate

charnkiat
08/30/2013, 10:17 AM
I'm cycling my tank and i'm not sure what my reading means.

i've started with dry dead rock. These rocks were old rock that got me into troubles with green hair algae that was beyond control. I found out that they were leaching phosphate like mad. So i took down my tank and bleached and vinegar bathed the rocks. They are now tested dead dead and tested without phosphate (well, almost).

Anyway, i started my new tank with these rocks, saltwater, and some local made bacteria in a bottle. A couple of days later, I've added bagged live sand. A couple of days later, I've added a shrimp, let's call that day1.

I dont have ammonia test kit, only nitrite and nitrate test kits.

on day 3, i've tested nitrite and it was about 0.5 mg/l.
on day 4, i've tested again and it was still 0.5 mg/l.
Today, day 5, nitrite is still at 0.5 mg/l and i tested nitrate as well, and it was like 50 mg/l !

Why is my nitrate so high and so early in the cycle?

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k556/charnkiat/2013-08-30225153.png

thegrun
08/30/2013, 10:26 AM
Things are moving along well. You really need an ammonia test kit (or have your LFS test for ammonia for you) to fully understand what is going on and to be sure the cycle is complete. I suspect the ammonia levle is starting to drop and now it is being converted to nitrites, but without test results all we can do is guess.

Elrodg
08/30/2013, 11:43 AM
Things are moving along well. You really need an ammonia test kit (or have your LFS test for ammonia for you) to fully understand what is going on and to be sure the cycle is complete. I suspect the ammonia levle is starting to drop and now it is being converted to nitrites, but without test results all we can do is guess.

+1. You are turning the curve of your cycle. Nearing the end. But you are gonna have to get an ammonia test.

Hiruki
08/30/2013, 05:16 PM
It's usual, it's going to fluctuate a whole lot, especially in the beginning stages. Congrats on the set up! :)

charnkiat
09/08/2013, 01:08 AM
So i went and got myself ammonia test kit. And guess what, my tank is officially cycled! Yeahhhh. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is down to only 2ppm. So for those who are having doubts about bagged live sand and bacteria in a bottle, it worked in my case. The cycle took about 2 weeks.)

But I never got any diatom bloom nor any algae, rocks and sand are still white and clean. I didnt turn the light on during the cycle though. May be that's why?

chrisfont23
09/08/2013, 06:10 AM
So i went and got myself ammonia test kit. And guess what, my tank is officially cycled! Yeahhhh. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is down to only 2ppm. So for those who are having doubts about bagged live sand and bacteria in a bottle, it worked in my case. The cycle took about 2 weeks.)

But I never got any diatom bloom nor any algae, rocks and sand are still white and clean. I didnt turn the light on during the cycle though. May be that's why?

You may not get a diatom bloom right away. I didn't. Every tank is different.