PDA

View Full Version : MACNA, what a disappointment!

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:09 PM
Flew to Florida for first time at MACNA. Mission, find a hybrid LED T5 lamp. Specifically to look at ATI and Pacific Sun and make a final decision. Big mistake cause neither are there. It's primarily a frag convention. Bummed to say the least and can't rearrange flights because they're all booked for Saturday. No idea what to do for the next two days. :headwallblue:

pmcarbrey
08/30/2013, 05:13 PM
They did release the vendor list ages ago....

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:20 PM
I made an assumption, that all of the top equipment brands would be represented by either the manufacturers or the vendors.

SushiGirl
08/30/2013, 05:20 PM
Enjoy the beach. Enjoy tonight & tomorrow night's parties. Go see the speakers, there's some great ones. Drive to South Beach one night & people watch. There should've been vendor lists on the website. Talk to the other vendors & get freebies & info on other lights. We only went through half the hall today & talked to tons of friendly vendors, some willing to give freebies to try out in exchange for reviews on their sites.

Not sure how you can not find something to do here for 2 days with the ocean & beach right here & South Beach a short drive away.

10reefman
08/30/2013, 05:22 PM
Go to beach and drink beer!

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:26 PM
Definitely going to a bunch of lectures. Did not get to buy party tickets as they were sold out. Dunno about south beach. Wanted to select a new light, wifee was going to purchase for my upcoming 60th birthday. I was sure both lights would be on display here.

flamron
08/30/2013, 05:28 PM
Premium aquatics has a 10% coupon on their ati fixtures. I just bought the 24"

Biggest seller for me is the dimmable T5s for me.

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:28 PM
Go to beach and drink beer!

I left the Hamptons on Labor Day weekend, drinking beer on the beach in FL just doesn't cut it!

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:30 PM
Premium aquatics has a 10% coupon on their ati fixtures. I just bought the 24"

Biggest seller for me is the dimmable T5s for me.

Are they offering the discount at MACNA?

flamron
08/30/2013, 05:31 PM
They might be. Not sure. Coupon code is LaborDay2013

It ships direct from the factory, though. But they shipped it out today and I ordered yesterday. So they are quick.

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:33 PM
I also was interested in looking at a Reef Dynamics BPR but have yet to see one there.

JonSadowsky
08/30/2013, 05:35 PM
Flew to Florida for first time at MACNA. Mission, find a hybrid LED T5 lamp. Specifically to look at ATI and Pacific Sun and make a final decision. Big mistake cause neither are there. It's primarily a frag convention. Bummed to say the least and can't rearrange flights because they're all booked for Saturday. No idea what to do for the next two days. :headwallblue:

Bonefishing on Biscayne Bay...

Flats, Bonefish and the Miami skyline for a backdrop, not to many big cities you can do that in. I'm just saying...

BTW, I was pretty disappointed too.

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:38 PM
Bonefishing on Biscayne Bay...

Flats, Bonefish and the Miami skyline for a backdrop, not to many big cities you can do that in. I'm just saying...

BTW, I was pretty disappointed too.

buildinboats
08/30/2013, 05:39 PM
Come north and I'll take you bass fishing in the Gut, some nice fish showed up there for the last two weeks.

Crimson
08/30/2013, 08:01 PM
Never mind looks like it was cleaned up.

billsreef
08/30/2013, 09:25 PM
Come north and I'll take you bass fishing in the Gut, some nice fish showed up there for the last two weeks.

I'll have to admit I miss fishing for stripers, but on the other hand I can fish for Mahimahi year round now :D

As for MACNA, I've been to a number of them, and this one is fantastic. IMO the speakers and talking to other aquarists is the number one reason to go to MACNA. Vendors comes after that. Can't say I made out badly vender wise either. Had a few interesting conversations with vendors about product that I might find useful at the university.

sanchoy
08/30/2013, 11:15 PM
After attending 2 in the past, they can get repetitive. And for the frags, can't take any home due to the flight.

aquaph8
08/30/2013, 11:59 PM
I checked some frags in my suit case last year and they all did great.

If you cant have any fun in Miami come to Tucson and Ill trade you places, its just like the beach only no water :)

Rob in Puyallup
08/31/2013, 12:09 AM
Lots of fun to be had in the Miami area. Rent a car and drive to the Everglades... Drive a bit further and check out the Keys. Drive West to the Gulf Coast. Love it all down there!

jaa1456
08/31/2013, 05:38 AM
I left the Hamptons on Labor Day weekend, drinking beer on the beach in FL just doesn't cut it!

I will take South Beach over the Hamptons any day. Not even a comparison there. Go check it out for yourself, I got rid of a house in Sag Harbor for one in South Beach.

buildinboats
08/31/2013, 06:02 AM
I will take South Beach over the Hamptons any day. Not even a comparison there. Go check it out for yourself, I got rid of a house in Sag Harbor for one in South Beach.

Wow, that's hard to believe. I will have to take a ride to see for myself, but not miss some of the speakers I'd like to hear today.

CHSUB
08/31/2013, 06:09 AM
i will save you more disappointment. skip Pacific Sun, i used two Metis for 8 months nothing but disappointment. i'm heading to MACNA now....

droth335
08/31/2013, 06:26 AM

If you really went to MACNA just to make this decision, wouldn't you have been money ahead (plane fare, hotel, etc.) to just buy both of them.... :p JK

buildinboats
08/31/2013, 06:38 AM
If you really went to MACNA just to make this decision, wouldn't you have been money ahead (plane fare, hotel, etc.) to just buy both of them.... :p JK

Last light I bought was a Solaris so I'm obviously not very smart, your idea might have made sense!

I went for the whole package, and I am really enjoying being there. Just bummed I couldn't see the lights I was looking forward to.

droth335
08/31/2013, 06:45 AM
I went for the whole package, and I am really enjoying being there. Just bummed I couldn't see the lights I was looking forward to.

My wife and I wish we could have gone this year....MACNA is a great experience. We will be there next year!

dkeller_nc
08/31/2013, 06:45 AM
It's been a while since I was in South beach, but last time I checked there was a reef about 300-400 feet directly off of the beach. Certainly not the Caymans, but definitely worth the snorkel trip. And personally, I'd kill to get the chance to dive in water warm enough to actually be in (which is generally not found north of Georgia, in my opinion).

Ted_C
08/31/2013, 06:47 AM
Don't judge by one opinion. Do check out their forums on this site.

Lots of others are happy with their metis or tritons (me).

Its a challenge to figure out how to make the software settings to get exactly what you want.

Deinonych
08/31/2013, 06:51 AM
As for MACNA, I've been to a number of them, and this one is fantastic. IMO the speakers and talking to other aquarists is the number one reason to go to MACNA. Vendors comes after that. Can't say I made out badly vender wise either. Had a few interesting conversations with vendors about product that I might find useful at the university.

+1

This is my first MACNA and I have thoroughly enjoyed the speakers more than anything else.

SushiGirl
08/31/2013, 10:10 AM
We're taking frags home. The vendor puts them in specimen cups, we put them in a small, well padded box in the hardsided luggage. Frags take plane trips every time they're bought online, after all.

aquaman05
08/31/2013, 10:29 AM
Anyone know where it's going to be next year ?

aquaman05
08/31/2013, 10:36 AM
Denver Colorado.

dotcommer
08/31/2013, 05:38 PM
Denver Colorado.

Sweet, much closer to Arizona. I will definitely attend next year. Haven't been to one yet.

buildinboats
08/31/2013, 05:46 PM
i will save you more disappointment. skip Pacific Sun, i used two Metis for 8 months nothing but disappointment. i'm heading to MACNA now....

So, did you find a light you like?

ssdawood
08/31/2013, 06:20 PM

Can you elaborate on this. I am about to pull trigger on pandora led/t5. A solid 15% disount and three year warranty are amazing. Also ATI doesn't have all those color leds on their fixture. Love to hear the problems u faced.

moondoggy4
08/31/2013, 07:10 PM
ATI goes to the RAP show in the OC So Cal sometime in October.

SKAREEF
08/31/2013, 07:31 PM

I felt the same went one year with a mission in mind and all I found was overprice frags... as for the lights.You should check out the Prestige LED Gamma. Looked all over for a led with T5 Intergration, stayed with this one.. Very happy. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2289403

Good luck with your search.

pktech
08/31/2013, 07:54 PM
No idea what to do for the next two days. :headwallblue:

Eat & drink! Surely there's something to do in Miami & Lauderdale.

reefinder
09/01/2013, 05:14 AM
I bought a day pass and went Saturday (yesterday) to Macna it was awesome. I went in search of a frag tank light and decided on a mitra. The rep was awesome I got a million freebies from all the vendors about ten free shirts from all over. My buddy was in a free raffle with AI and won a new hydra, I got a million things for the tank for free. I also bought every frag I have seen online and wanted for a decent price. Macna was awesome that's my opinion

buildinboats
09/01/2013, 10:07 AM
Macna was awesome that's my opinion

I agree, the lectures were great. I learned a lot from the vendors and ended up buying a Mitras.

moondoggy4
09/01/2013, 11:07 AM
I like going to the shows so I can see and touch a lot of equipment that you only read about, I also like talking to the reps, and listening to the speakers, I normally do not buy the frags.
Nice choice on the light buildinboats, Miami and Vegas have got to be two of the best places to people watch. I am sure I would enjoy it.

SushiGirl
09/01/2013, 12:34 PM
The corals were actually very reasonable this year. Sure there's the whole named per polyp stuff at each vendor off to one side, but there were a lot more $10 & $20 frag sections at virtually all of them. One place, everything in the frag display was $10. We're bringing home 9 nice frags (zoas, monti, acans, Lepastrea (spelling? LOL) & a ric for $150.

d2mini
09/01/2013, 03:08 PM
I loved it. I was surprised at how much coral was for sale. We get such nice stuff in the Houston area so I wasn't interested in buying but it's always fun to window shop. Got to hang out with the Ecotech guys for a bit, briefly spoke with Julian Sprung, saw a bunch of other "reef celebs", got to see all kinda if product up close and even won a Turbos Aquatics LR4 algae scrubber at the raffle. Not bad for a single day pass. And spent today soaking up the sun at the beach and pool.

dirtyfrank
09/01/2013, 06:07 PM
Forget South Beach! I mean, it's nice and if you want to spend some change there are great places to eat.. But you would much rather enjoy Las Olas up in Ft Lauderdale.

It's kind of a bum weekend to be at the beach...I live here. Regattaaaaaa

billsreef
09/01/2013, 06:13 PM
I agree, the lectures were great. I learned a lot from the vendors and ended up buying a Mitras.

Glad you ended up liking it :)

Just finished putting a bunch of frags in my tank. Most of them my daughter picked out...I've taught her well, she picked ones I was eying :D

BTW if you any of you brought raffle tickets or T-shirts, etc. I was working that counter from open till noon every day ;)

billsreef
09/01/2013, 06:17 PM

Your right there is no comparison. It's like comparing apples to pecans. Both are excellent, but both are very different.

WhoDey64
09/01/2013, 09:30 PM
A vendor wasn't in attendance from a list published well in advance and you start a thread with this title? I would hate to be around you when something really disappoints you...

krzyphsygy
09/02/2013, 12:21 AM
Had a blast! Spent waaaay to much money. Bought some incredible corals from Jason Fox. It was alot of fun. Very large amount of booths////lots to do!

Well worth it, glad we went. I really wanted to see Deltec there. No show though. ORA boys and girls were great to talk to.

moondoggy4
09/02/2013, 12:38 AM
^^^^Marvin usually goes to the shows but a little incognito, He has been to the shows in Ca so I would gather he is at that one also.

I remember when Stuart came to the show here and he had a 1004 on display WOW what a skimmer.

ynot65
09/02/2013, 01:37 AM
Every one who comes down here always complains, but they come back year after year. As far as fishing goes we top the list in all catagories

buildinboats
09/02/2013, 06:57 AM
A vendor wasn't in attendance from a list published well in advance and you start a thread with this title? I would hate to be around you when something really disappoints you...

The venders who sell the lights I was looking for were there, but they didn't bring any to display (ATI & Pacific Sun). You'd have to put yourself in my shoes, understand why I went, before passing judgement.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and would do it again.