PDA

View Full Version : jbj nanocube setup questions

Aqua_expert19
08/30/2013, 09:56 PM
Hey guys! Im going to buy a nanocube. I know i need a heater but what else should i get?

The plan:
I want a mixed reef with a pair of black clowns and a six line wrasse(or any active pretty small fish). I would like a few shrimp.

As for corals im looking at shrooms, polyps and a bubble anemone. I have no intention of doing sps.

I want a fairly relaxed maintenance. 5-10% water changes weekly is what im aiming for and a healthy tank.

Things im considering:

A protein skimmer- which one? I want a quiet yet effective one since its going next to my bed.

A uv steralizer: wont have a hospital tank and anything to help keep water clean

A phosban reactor- to keep phosphates down so no stupid algae blooms

Background: this is my first tank in 10 years. I use to have a 55 gallon mixed
reef. I had to tear it down when i left for college. I want something smaller as i dont have the room or money to make a really nice large tank. Im not opposed to any suggestions. There is a lot of tech that im not familiar with so help would be great.

Thanks guys!!!

ps i posted this in another sub forum and it got ignored, this is probably the right subforum for it.

knap_123
08/30/2013, 10:15 PM
I have jbj 12 dx and I removed all the foam , ceramic rings, and bio balls. I use purigen and chemi pure elite in first chamber. And polliester pillow stuffing from Walmart or hobby lobby The second has small live rock . The third has stock pump and a little more live rock. I increased my flow with a hydor power head just under the duckbill. I set my live rock up so it doesn't touch the back wall and stop the circulation. When it's cold I use a Walmart heater in the 3 rd chamber. Water changes ever week or 2 and that's it!

SABOB
08/30/2013, 10:27 PM
Also have a Nanocube 12DX....pulled out CFL and put in Exoctic Panorama Pro LED lights.
Removed sponges and ceramic rings.
Heater in 1st chamber and mesh bag of carbon,live rock rubble in 2nd chamber.Return pump MJ 900 in 3rd chamber with split returns

Aqua_expert19
08/31/2013, 10:42 AM
Do you guys run any skimmers or anything?