PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Tank

danimallaminad
08/31/2013, 10:45 AM
I have a 40 gallon tank under my 125 display and its used as a sump/fish tank. About 10 gallons is sectioned off where the return pump is and the other 30 gallons is where the fish tank is. I was wondering how should i clean the substrate because its on the floor and i can't siphon it. Ive read about people using a shop-vac but wouldnt that just suck up the sand too?

Reef Frog
08/31/2013, 11:19 AM
Yes a shop vac also empties it really fast. A pump & tubing works & can work
slow enough to concentrate on pockets of detritus.

danimallaminad
08/31/2013, 11:20 AM
Im a little confused of what you mean a pump and tubing. wouldnt the sand just clog the pump or am i picturing this wrong. Can you show a pic or describe it better? and thanks for the help

thegrun
08/31/2013, 11:35 AM
Home depot sells a wet dry vacuum that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket for about $25.00, I built an adapter that reduces the inlet hose to 1/2" plastic tubing, works great for cleaning out the sump.

Reef Frog
08/31/2013, 11:45 AM
I'm suggesting using a small circulation pump like a MaxiJet 1200. Hook some standard silicon tubing to the output. Put the pump securely in a bucket. You may have to prime it first by getting water into the hose and/or the pump's intake cowling.

With your thumb on the end of the tubing holding in the water, place it in the sump chamber, plug in the pump & release your thumb. Make sure the pump outlet in the bucket is pointed the right way to prevent your living room becoming the Trevi Fountain. Now you can use the free end as a vacuum to target detritus. Hovering it right above the sand gets most junk with minimal sand.

It's easy but if it seems like a hassle, I've seen a purpose built, battery operated substrate vacuum in aquaria catalogs, but have never used one. Probably better for gravel like you find in FW tanks but I'm not sure. Hope this makes sense.

Reef Frog
08/31/2013, 11:49 AM
That vacuum set up sounds nice. Do you know what brand/model it is?

danimallaminad
08/31/2013, 12:23 PM
Ohh i see what your saying now haha. Thanks for all your help.