PDA

View Full Version : Quarintein Quastion

Titobattilocchi
08/31/2013, 02:08 PM
I have a purple Tang that I put through Quarantine. It didn't show any signs of having ick I also treated the quarantine tank with copper. After the purple tang passed quarantine without copper in the tank the last two weeks of its quarantine I put him in to me DT. Its been, about 3 to 4 weeks now and I can see 2 to 3 spots on his head that look to be ick. What should I do?:deadhorse1:

Deinonych
08/31/2013, 03:15 PM
How long did you treat with copper in QT, which copper product did you use, and at what concentration?

MrTuskfish
08/31/2013, 03:21 PM
Also, were all fish in the DT carefully quarantined? Ich can stay invisible for a long time.

Titobattilocchi
08/31/2013, 04:21 PM
I treated for about 2 1/2 weeks. I used copper Power I used 1oz to each 20 gallons it says not to repeat dosage, but when I did a copper test it read 1.25ppm and the bottle says to treat at 2.5ppm. All fish went through a 30 day QT.

blanden.adam
08/31/2013, 04:52 PM
Well, first I would question if it's actually ich. If all of your fish went through a 30 day quarrantine, your tang was quarrantined for 4 weeks showing no signs of ich, and then after ANOTHER 3 weeks just started showing spots, it's not impossible that it's ich but it is rather unlikely. However, I say that cautiously because treating with sub-therapeutic copper can mask an ich infection without curing it.

If it is ich, you need to take all the fish out and put them in a hospital tank, treat them with copper, and leave the DT fallow for 72 days. But you need to be sure you've identified the ich correctly, otherwise you'll put your fish through a lot of unwarranted stress that could do them harm.

Are you sure it's not stings or damage from fighting with tank mates?

Titobattilocchi
08/31/2013, 05:44 PM
It could be stings but not from fighting with tank mates because he is the bully in the tank.

Dmorty217
09/01/2013, 08:17 AM
Sounds as though your DT has ich and the only way to fix that problem would be to leave your tank fallow for 9 wks or treat the DT if there are no inverts, rock, or sand