PDA

View Full Version : Best 900 to 1100 Gpu pump for the money?

Hokies83
08/31/2013, 02:33 PM
Atm im using a cheapo off eBay and it is insane loud.

Anything for a god price that does 900 to 1100 Gpu adjustable that does not sound like a small blender is running?

Dmorty217
08/31/2013, 02:49 PM
Reliability wise I would go with a danner mag drive, had them for years and have never had issues with them. A quiet one pump is also very quiet, hence the name

s_kelley
08/31/2013, 02:50 PM
Anything reeflo I would stand by

saltwater808
08/31/2013, 06:53 PM
I run a mag 9.5 externally its nice. It makes a bit of noise. I really don't have anything to compare it to as for as noise and actual gph ratings. I would buy one again.

dkeller_nc
09/01/2013, 08:03 AM
Depends on what you mean "best for the money". Does that mean, most reliable, lowest sound output, highest reliability, or most efficient for watts consumed?

Generally speaking,

Sicce syncra pumps are very nearly silent, and have the longest warranty period (assuming they're registered when you buy it).

Eheim submersible hobby pumps have the longest track record of near invulnerability. That doesn't mean other pumps aren't reliable, but they're newer, so not as long of a track record.

The most efficient pumps vs watts consumed currently available in the hobbyist price range are DC pumps. There are multiple brands available, though all of them are essentially clones of the RLSS Waveline pump. An example is the SpeedWave DC pump that Bulk Reef Supply sells, another is the Reef Octopus Diablo line of DC pumps (one source is Marine Depot).

Mag-Drive pumps are easily the most common, lowest-price circulation pump in use by hobbyists on the lower end of the flow spectrum. Parts are nearly universally available, and they're about 1/2-2/3rds the price of the ones mentioned above. However, they are also an older generation design that put out a lot of heat and consume a lot of electricity for the gph they produce.

If you want a highly reliable pump in the higher flow rates that isn't submersible, then Iwaki, Pan-World and Reef-Flo are pretty much the go-to options.

Palting
09/01/2013, 08:13 AM
There are lots of good pumps out there. If you are looking for one that's 900-1100gph, runs quiet, AND is a good buy, I would recommend one of the Rio pumps. I have the Rio Plus 2100 and the Rio Plus 3100, both running for over 3 years, as well as the more expensive pumps. I'll have to say the Rio works just as well as the more expensive pump, is quieter, and is a lot cheaper. I would suggest looking at the Rio Plus 3100 ( http://www.riopump.net/products_pumps/Rioplus_desc.html ), or their Rio 20XP ( http://www.riopump.net/products_pumps/RioXP.html ) .