PDA

View Full Version : unintentional family member

BJinWI
08/31/2013, 08:24 PM
Long story short (and I already know that I shouldn't have done it, it was a complete accident)...
A few days after returning from Florida, my son and were going thru the shells that we collected while snorkeling and yes, you guessed it, there was a little crab in one of the shells. It is a blue-legged hermit. We did take it to the local pet store to see if they would put it in a QT so he wouldn't die. they refused. So, $250 later, I have a tank set up and a new one going for him. Since this was not my intention to have a new family member, I was not prepared for him. While at the pet store, they at least gave me a small betta cup with salt water for him.
Anyways, we got Instant Ocean salt and some food from the pet store, then went to walmart and got a 3gal tank, heater, filter... got the water to 78degrees and put him in. Know it wasn't the perfect situation, but again, had to do something.
Next day went to a better pet store and got some live sand and live rocks more shells and put that in the tank.
He/she has been in there for 2weeks now and seems to be doing good. moving, eating...
Now my dad used to have salt water tanks and suggested that I at least get a 10gal since it would be easier to control the water quality. so, now I set that up yesterday with a new bag of live sand, got temp good. I would like to move some sand from current tank to new one along with some live rock. Do I need to wait? or would it be good to get some of 'old' water & sand into new one?
Any other advice (beside not bringing shells home from the beach) would be appreciated.
Thanks
JuJu's new mom
(he's so tiny, shell and all can sit on a dime)

Goss
08/31/2013, 08:57 PM
wow. I would not have done all that for a hermit. After they told me no I would have said ok and then dropped it in one of their tanks LOL j/k.

mtcoins123
08/31/2013, 09:00 PM
wow. I would not have done all that for a hermit. After they told me no I would have said ok and then dropped it in one of their tanks LOL j/k.

Meannie head

BJinWI
08/31/2013, 09:12 PM
Yes Goss, I know I am slightly insane.
But that didn't answer my tank question...
By the way, my son and I discussed that AFTER we left the petstore.

DragKnee
08/31/2013, 09:33 PM
You spent $250 to give a hermit crab a tank?

:eek2:

Spork3245
08/31/2013, 09:34 PM
Yes Goss, I know I am slightly insane.
But that didn't answer my tank question...
By the way, my son and I discussed that AFTER we left the petstore.

Yes, I believe you can move some of (eventually all) your current live rock and live sand to your new tank to help seed it and speed up the cycle process. I'd leave your new hermit in the current tank until ammonia and nitrite hit near-zero and the nitrate drops off a bit. Though wait for someone more experienced to confirm :)

Out of curiosity, was it a small fish/pet store or a chain? Chains won't usually accept "donations" of live stock, some small ones will. With something like a simple blue-legged hermit crab I'm suprised they wouldn't take it though lol

It's nice that you set up an entire tank around a $0.99 hermit crab, but you might as well throw some "nano tank" fish in there (fish that don't need much room) and maybe even consider some basic corals to make that $250+ you've spent go to more than hermit crab home :p. Just don't get more hermits or your new lil buddy might get killed for his shell by another. Fish you could consider include a clown goby, neon cleaner goby, pygmy wrasse, possum wrasse and a few others. I'd get 2 fish total at absolute max. Personally I'd do a cleaner goby and a red stripped possum wrasse :p. If you didn't get the 10 gallon tank yet, just spring for a nuvo 16 as it'll be a bit easier on you in the long-run since it's an "all-in-one" set-up. :)

BJinWI
08/31/2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks spork3245,
Yes, the 10 is up and running, just nothing living in it yet. I was planning on putting 1 or2 fish in there. Other sites I have read stated at crabbies prefer to have other crabby friends...
Thanks for the ideas on what fish would be good, cuz I got NO flippin idea!!!

BJinWI
08/31/2013, 09:59 PM
oh, it was a PetWorld. I believe they are a small franchise...not sure. didn't have many options at 8:30 at nite.
I just felt sooo guilty for crab-napping him. I couldn't just let him die.

Spork3245
08/31/2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks spork3245,
Yes, the 10 is up and running, just nothing living in it yet. I was planning on putting 1 or2 fish in there. Other sites I have read stated at crabbies prefer to have other crabby friends...
Thanks for the ideas on what fish would be good, cuz I got NO flippin idea!!!

Hermits will kill eachother for their shells. They'll also kill snails for shells too, but you'll need a clean up crew of some kind and it's a natural part of their existence unfortunately :p. If your hermit killing snails makes you uncomfortable though, get red banded trochus snails as they are about the only ones that can defend themselves (they hide in and then "shake" their shells and it makes the hermit retreat). So, personally, I'd keep your single rescued hermit and throw about 5 snails in, when you make your fish purchase.
For other fish suggestions check out liveaquaria as they tend to give the most realistic requirements, go to their "nano reef" sub-section under the "marine fish" section and select "10 gallons" under "tank size" on the side. Also be sure to check all intended purchases prior to buying as some fish do not get along with eachother.

BJinWI
08/31/2013, 11:19 PM
thanks! I'll check that out!

Nina51
09/01/2013, 06:46 AM
let me guess...when you were a kid, you brought home stray dogs? i think it's rather noble that you went through all of this for one little crab! :)

chrisfont23
09/01/2013, 07:24 PM
Google "nano tank ideas". Good luck

bnumair
09/01/2013, 08:12 PM
you could have taken it right back to the beach and saved ur self a run around pet stores and spending $250. anyways ur have a new family member. enjoy while it lasts.
For your question. moving sand rock and water over to new setup will cause a mini spike which can kill the little guy that u have spend so much time and money on. i suggest you setup the 10 gal tank and cycle it with sand and rocks etc and then move the hermit to it.

Hzuiel
09/01/2013, 09:41 PM
you could have taken it right back to the beach and saved ur self a run around pet stores and spending $250.

A few days after returning from Florida, my son and were going thru the shells that we collected while snorkeling and yes, you guessed it, there was a little crab in one of the shells.

BJinWI
09/01/2013, 10:07 PM
HAHA thanks Hzuiel. I'm in Wisconsin. A tad bit too far to go to take him back. I woulda if I coulda!

SirKevinD
09/02/2013, 01:39 AM
Funniest post ive seen all day!

msnwld
09/03/2013, 12:56 PM
Funniest post ive seen all day!

Ill second that!!!

themoraykeeper
09/03/2013, 01:45 PM
^+1 on that XD
Btw very kind of you to do that for the little guy, best of luck!

Beandawg
09/03/2013, 09:36 PM
Blue legs are very hardy. One time, I decided I had too much live rock in my tank. I took about a 5 gallon bucket-full out with water, put the top on the bucket, and threw it in the basement. About a year later, a friend was looking for some rock, so I gave him the bucket. He found 2 blue leg hermits, some mushrooms, and some other goodies. The point of the story is, as long as the crab has saltwater, he'll be fine. Don't over feed.