PDA

View Full Version : Juv. Goldflake worried

RDtrack
08/31/2013, 10:34 PM
I've had a little juv. Goldflake in QT for about two and half weeks. Tonight I noticed that he was shaking his head. Little guy is eating great and appears to be putting on weight. Also he had some fin damage which is recovering nicely.

Anyways I kind of freaked knowing what I've read about flukes. So ended up giving him a 5 min. freshwater dip. He appeared to take it alright. First 30 sec on his side but still breathing last 4 min and 30 sec upright but breathing fast. Last time I checked on him he was hiding breathing somewhat fast but appeared normal. So I'm hoping I didn't do him harm and he'll be good in the morning.

Question I have is. Should I have done the freshwater dip? I was planning on doing a treatment or two of prazipro after he'd been eating good and his fins were all healed. I'm now thinking I should start it tomorrow, thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

rachenbrazil
09/01/2013, 06:28 AM
Flukes takes 4 to 5 minutes to fall off in fw dip . If you noticed any in fw dip prazipro would be advisable asap. Watch carefully next few days and let it gain weight first... But more fw dip would help you to monitor the situation.

Mrscribbled
09/01/2013, 09:32 AM
She should recover from the bath as long as it was done correctly. I would go straight to prazi pro once she settles down and no more fwb's.

pktech
09/01/2013, 09:40 AM
Is it eating since the dip? Prazi sometimes reduces some fishes appetite. You might want to get it chowing before performing that treatment, but it's necessary.

RDtrack
09/01/2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the answers.

So this morning she/he is doing great. Swimming around like normal. So maybe I over reacted but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Also attacked food like it normally does (mixture of PE Mysis; Limpits). So I must have done the freshwater bath correctly.

So I was going to do my normal water change today in the QT but I might bump it up to ~50% rather than ~25%.

So I'm thinking of starting prazi pro once I have the water change down. Also I haven't had a ton of time to observer her/him but I haven't seen any shaking.

If I start prazi pro should I do another freshwater bath at the end of the treatment time? Or I was thinking of doing two treatments separated by a week. Any thoughts. I'm thinking of now one treatment of prazi followed by a week without treatment, followed by another treatment of prazi. Then another week or two of observation. Followed by a freshwater bath before adding to the DT. Should be right around 8 to 9 weeks in QT then too.

Mrscribbled
09/01/2013, 04:38 PM
Do the rounds of prazi you mentioned and wait with the fw bath.

RDtrack
09/01/2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks.

So I started a treatment of Prazi Pro. 1/2 teaspoon in my 10 gallon QT along with a 50% water change.

I'm a little worried in the fact that he/she appears to be sluggish. Still swimming around but with not the same vigor. Also she ate but not with the same attacking. Just wondering if these are normal with Prazi Pro treatments?

Also should I add an extra maxi jet in my QT? Currently using a HOB one.

Cross my figures that he/she makes it. It's went through a lot in it's short life. One thing it isn't is skinny the 2.5 weeks before this all started I had her fattening up.

Mrscribbled
09/01/2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks.

So I started a treatment of Prazi Pro. 1/2 teaspoon in my 10 gallon QT along with a 50% water change.

I'm a little worried in the fact that he/she appears to be sluggish. Still swimming around but with not the same vigor. Also she ate but not with the same attacking. Just wondering if these are normal with Prazi Pro treatments?

Also should I add an extra maxi jet in my QT? Currently using a HOB one.

Cross my figures that he/she makes it. It's went through a lot in it's short life. One thing it isn't is skinny the 2.5 weeks before this all started I had her fattening up.

I have a 3/4 inch gf in qt so I know how concearned you are. IME prazi will supress appetite but usually only when treated fish are infected with flukes or internal parasites. If you have an air pump laying around add it to help aerate the water since prazi does deplete O2 levels.

RDtrack
09/01/2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks. So you know exactly what I'm going through. Mine is probsbly the same size. I think some of the sluggishness might be because it bed time. She/he looked pretty good today, but still had some head shakes.

RDtrack
09/03/2013, 11:56 AM
Okay.....this little guy has been through hell and it's probably not getting better...actually the fish is getting better...I haven't observed any head shaking or flashing on the items in the QT tank. He was doing this on Saturday the head shaking.

Cross my fingers, through all of this he hasn't lost his appetite. I would say he is a fat little 1.5 inch juv. goldflake. Still eating maybe not with as much vigor as before the Prazipro, but still eats.

However after closely looking at him last night it looks like he has cryptocaryon irritans. Or at least it looks like little spots on the side of his body. So I'm now debating about starting him on copper a treatment. Or is a goldflake to sensative to copper. I know the praizpro treatment is stressing him somewhat. Treatment plus the bubble wand.

Currently he is in day 2 of his Prazipro treatment for flukes. Should I wait till he gets done with this treatment and then start immediately with copper? Should I wait a day or two after the Prazipro? Should I combine copper treatment with Prazipro?

Also I think this is stress related but trying to figure out to to make him less stressful but underneath his dorsal fin it appears that their is a red blood line.

Thanks for all the help, sorry for not orginally posting this under the disease forum. Didn't think it'd get this bad.

ccampbell57
09/03/2013, 12:31 PM
I would administer 50% dose of copper now...then in a couple of days add the remaining amount.

The flukes should be gone soon and do a water change and re-treat with copper.