PDA

View Full Version : need skimmer advice

dtaranath
09/01/2013, 10:41 AM
After perusing through a lot of these large reef threads, it appears that many of you seem to go with the super reef octopus skimmers.

I have a 220g reef, with a 30g fuge, and about 70g sump. I am adding in a 90g FOWLR (possibly reef), Approximately 400g total volume.

I'm looking at the SRO 5000 line of skimmers.

What is the difference between the SRO 5000 internal (not SSS) and the XP 5000 INT? Is the cone form of the XP really worth the extra $200? I can understand the physics of the improved performance of the cone, but is it really worth it, or just hype?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Drae
09/01/2013, 11:08 AM
The Aquamaxx cone series is better than the sro's and xp's. The cone 6 is a way better skimmer than the sro 5000 with a better Italian pump and balanced better also. It's quieter and more reliable. Reef octopus used to be the standard for mid budget skimmers but Aquamaxx has taken that market imo. Look into the cone 6 if your looking for the sro 5000 counterpart.

Squidward5
09/01/2013, 11:40 AM
If you have the room an SRO 6000ext are excellent performers for the price with the 12" body and lots of volume,, as far as Aquamaxx taking the market,,,,LOL they have not been on the market long enough for them to take anything.

Drae
09/01/2013, 01:54 PM
If you have the room an SRO 6000ext are excellent performers for the price with the 12" body and lots of volume,, as far as Aquamaxx taking the market,,,,LOL they have not been on the market long enough for them to take anything.

Aquamaxx are up and coming for a reason. The only thing they're are lacking skimmer wise is external models. The internal reef octopus skimmers have nothing on their external models and an external 6000 would be too large imho. I'm speaking from experience and not from here say. The internal aquamaxx/jns cone skimmers are by far better than the sro internal skimmers.

dtaranath
09/01/2013, 05:45 PM
thanks for the advice. I checked out the Aquamaxx skimmers, and they certainly appear to have a very nice design.

Another reason why I am leaning towards the SRO line is the automatic neck cleaners, in addition to the optional neck extensions to improve performance, if needed.

I'd like to keep it as an internal sump skimmer, though. Still trying to figure out if the XP cone shape is worth the extra cost, or would I be just fine with the regular INT version.

Drae
09/01/2013, 09:32 PM
thanks for the advice. I checked out the Aquamaxx skimmers, and they certainly appear to have a very nice design.

Another reason why I am leaning towards the SRO line is the automatic neck cleaners, in addition to the optional neck extensions to improve performance, if needed.

I'd like to keep it as an internal sump skimmer, though. Still trying to figure out if the XP cone shape is worth the extra cost, or would I be just fine with the regular INT version.

I wouldn't pay the extra for the xp. JMO. If it's an internal skimmer your looking to get you should seriously consider the AM cone skimmers. The outlet pipe design needs no mod's, the Italian shark pumps are silent and the hybrid design cone/full body offers better contact time with the benefit of the smooth transition from the upper cone. They are also less finicky.

dwolson2
11/25/2013, 04:01 PM

IDK if you bought your skimmer, but you can get an auto neck cleaner from avast marine. they make them to fit, or modify your existing lid.