PDA

View Full Version : Best led option

marlinmero
09/01/2013, 11:39 AM
Alright i was having an algae problem so i dug thru my closet and busted out my old rapid LED DIY kit and put it on the tank and i love the LED look. so im wanting to go LED now.
I'm wondering what of the 3 listed below are the best option. feel free to give other ideas.
I have 2 tanks one is fowlr, other is a full reef. both 200gallon im going to have to buy in stages

first is
http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productcart/pc/EverGrow-LED-Custom-Tuned-by-BRA-c515.htm

second is the KESSIL led cannons

and third is the DIY kits from rapid led.

mfinn
09/01/2013, 03:44 PM
I'd go with Barrier or OBD

yagesz
09/01/2013, 03:46 PM
I like the DIY Option. Nothing is quite as satisfying. Whenever I have the option I like making my own options.

marlinmero
09/01/2013, 11:57 PM
i like the DIY but it seems expensive and doesnt look as nice. Doesnt seem like i get as many LED with the DIY kit for the price is all.

what gives better results? the cannon style or a wider spread fixture?

that Fish Guy
09/02/2013, 12:13 AM
i like the DIY but it seems expensive and doesnt look as nice. Doesnt seem like i get as many LED with the DIY kit for the price is all.

what gives better results? the cannon style or a wider spread fixture?

Why do you say Do It Yourself is expensive?

It is by far hands down the cheapest way to get LED Fixtures.

marlinmero
09/02/2013, 12:21 AM
with the barrier reef ones i get 96 3watt led's for $400, and with the DIY to get 96 led thru rapid led would cost $650

yagesz
09/02/2013, 12:41 AM
Yes But depending on how have corals setup in the tank you have far more control over lighting this area or that area. Its not that it is a professionally finished product to make your lights look awesome either. But in the right hands alot of these look better IMO.

zachts
09/02/2013, 10:36 AM
with the barrier reef ones i get 96 3watt led's for $400, and with the DIY to get 96 led thru rapid led would cost $650

when you look at the specs of the two (if you can find the specs of the barrier reef chips) the Rapid kits provide nearly twice the lighting power and intensity as the barrier reef light.

the chips in the barrier reef type even though they say "3 watt" are only safely operated around 2 watts. the "3 watt" Cree chips from Rapid (royals blue and white) are actually able to run up to around 5 watts with 3-4 watts being a safe and typical operating range.

It is not possible to compare fixtures based on LED count and claimed led wattage. you have to compare total fixture power consumption, LED drive current, and LED light output (Lumens per watt, or radiomentric output (mW) per watt)

I would favor the DIY for most applications unless you have very modern decor and need a supper slick fixture. DIY just gives more options and some of the housings (Makers LED for example) make the DIY projects look pretty slick and finished.