PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

j.mccollum
09/03/2013, 09:35 AM
so I've been in freshwater planted tanks for the last few years and find myself very successful at it. my last tank about 6 months ago was 11g rimless high tech(high light,CO2,ferts)
im really wanting to venture into the reef side of the hobby.
here is the kicker- I rent my home so I cant have a very big tank. I'm already pushing it by having 3 tanks. that said, I want to convert one of mine to a nano tank.
what would be my best options

aquaeon evolve 8 -w/2 of the stock led lights

11g rimless -conister filter, will update the light to a led prob. a finnex or such

or look for a used biocube

I want a nice reef setup with cown and anemone as a center piece.
thanks

thegrun
09/03/2013, 10:10 AM
You're going to need a 20 gallon tank to house any clownfish.

ucdcrew
09/03/2013, 10:21 AM
Check to see if your landlord will let you have a bigger tank if you show proof of an insurance rider covering the damage it could cause if it was to fail.

j.mccollum
09/03/2013, 10:30 AM
I have checked with the landlord and the most I could go it 30g.
im looking at 29gal biocube. good/bad? im sure it's better than what i have but money is tight so I was trying to use an existing tank. the lfs guy im talking with its a good guy but still likes$$ so I figure this is the best place to start and do my research.

j.mccollum
09/04/2013, 10:17 AM
bump

Hzuiel
09/04/2013, 10:52 AM
The biocubes are a nice simple way to get into the hobby, but many people soon get frustrated with how limited the space is for filtration options, and start modding to get what they want and usually run into a brick wall where they can't go any further.

Just fyi, petco.com is running a 25% off everything sale right now, which includes biocubes. You can get the new oceanic biocube 29 hqi for 449.99, the older coralife biocube 29 for 299.99. Used prices on them are often 200-250.

MondoBongo
09/04/2013, 11:09 AM
i would reconsider on the finnex fixture, maybe check out Aqua Illumination Sol/Vega/Nano, ReefBreeders, or EcoTech Radions.

i have a Finnex FugeRay II on my planted nano and it's nice, but doesn't hold a candle to my AI Vega's.

one thing against smaller tanks for saltwater is that they are a lot less fault tolerant of noob mistakes, so it's something to consider, but if you already have a good handle on a high tech planted tank you will probably catch on in no time flat. especially if your bio load is low.

my largest problem in my 75 was keeping alkalinity stable and fresh water topped off. that was a bit of a struggle until i bought an auto top off and started dosing Kalkwasser.

j.mccollum
09/04/2013, 11:29 AM
thanks for the input. I also have the ray2 on my high tech tank along with a supplement florescent to help with my red plants. it's seems be to a great light. that's the only reason I suggested that. im still in the research phase. so keep it coming. thanks

MondoBongo
09/04/2013, 11:40 AM
i'm not familiar with the light requirements of anemones. the only nems i've ever had were aiptasia, and those things are nearly indestructible. ha.

so i'm not sure how much light they require in relation to your average corals, but i've learned the hard lesson of buying the right thing once in this hobby several times over. i went through two lighting upgrades in 7 months before i finally broke down and bought the AI's that i should have got in the first place.

as with anything every tank is different though.

j.mccollum
09/07/2013, 08:54 PM
I do have 2 stock led lights for the evolve 8 not sure if this is enough or too much.
here is a pic of the set up now.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=9282&pictureid=18490

j.mccollum
09/07/2013, 09:17 PM
here is a pic of my other tank 11gal. might be a option if I drill it and put a sump in it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=10482&pictureid=38305