PDA

View Full Version : Chillers

st0ned0g
09/04/2013, 12:01 AM
So with my prior tank in tx, I used the house ac and heater to regulat the temp in my tank. No that I live in ca and power prices are three times that of tx, I don't think I want to do that. But I don't know the first thing about chillers. Any advice would be app.

Qs to start....

R they loud?
Would they heat up a small Inclosed area, such as a cabnet, too much?
Do they have 2be run out side, or can the be run inside?
How much should I expect to pay for a good used one? 200?

Reefmedic79
09/04/2013, 12:49 AM
I personally don't feel they are that loud, though they can be to some people. They will heat up an enclosed cabinet, and should be placed as far away from the tank as possible, otherwise it would counter the cooling that it's doing. I suggest running it outside. Chillers do pull a lot of energy though, so I don't think your going to benefit over all with your energy bill by having one. Heating water is a lot cheaper than cooling it.

How cool do you keep your house? What type of lighting is on the tank? WHat kind of pumps do you have in the tank?

My house temp is set at 74 and my tank stays at a steady 77 degrees with the help of a heater. With LED's

Ludecrasher
09/04/2013, 01:47 AM
Just purchased my first chiller today. Tank went from 88 to 79 in a couple hours. Everything in tank really happy. I purchased a JBJ 1/10hp arctica and is super silent. Can't hear it at all! All I hear is the water pump. They don't recommend putting it inside cabinet. Need room to breath. Mines is sitting next to tank on the side indoors. I got lucky and bought a new one with Labor Day sale and paid a little over $400. Now its $560. I've seen people selling them around $250.

JDMR2
09/04/2013, 02:57 AM
Does the chiller exhaust heat?

RA
09/04/2013, 06:38 AM

Yes

letoan
09/04/2013, 06:47 AM

Yes, lots of heat. I have a jbj 1/15 for my shrimp tank... it's in a cabinet without proper ventilation, the excess heat melted the fan assembly.

thegrun
09/04/2013, 07:42 AM
1. Yes they are loud (at minimum they are the noisest piece of equipment in your system).
2. Yes, it would heat up your cabinet, quit cooling your tank and possibly damage the cooler. They must be kept out in the open air.
3. They can be run inside the house altough thwey will heat up the room they are in slightly.
4. For a quality chiller purchased new for a 65 gallon tank $700.00. plus monthly energy costs!

LED lighting may be a much less expensive way for you to go.

st0ned0g
09/04/2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for the responses. Putting it out side is not really an option for me at the moment, Maybe if we moved I could swing that. My tank is currently a WIP and I am planning on using LEDs so maybe I will get lucky and not need it.

thegrun
09/04/2013, 02:47 PM
With LEDs all you should need are small fans to blow across the water surface for cooling.