PDA

View Full Version : RKE salinity probe calibration

TankCla
09/04/2013, 01:13 PM
I just got the SL2v2 module from DA and I experience a situation.
My refractometer is showing a difference of 10ppm between DigitalAquatic calibration solution and Aqua Craft calibrating solution.

Did you encounter a similar issue?
Should I buy a third calibrating solution?
DA solution is not accurate?
Aqua Craft is not accurate?

Thanks
Claud

rburns24
09/04/2013, 08:43 PM
I'd personally use the 35ppt Pinpoint Calibration Solution(American Marine Inc) and ditch the other two ASAP.

DaveMorris
09/07/2013, 12:10 AM
There will be a difference between solutions. The calibration solution that DA sends out, along with several other solutions out there, are not formulated to be read with a refractometer. There is a difference.

That being said, any solution that is marked with what it is will work for calibrating the probe.

TankCla
09/09/2013, 06:27 AM
There will be a difference between solutions. The calibration solution that DA sends out, along with several other solutions out there, are not formulated to be read with a refractometer. There is a difference.

That being said, any solution that is marked with what it is will work for calibrating the probe.

This makes sense. Thank you Dave! The most reasonable answer I got for this issue.
I am wandering why DA doesn't tell this when you buy the probe. They let you :headwally: for a while.

DaveMorris
09/10/2013, 12:22 AM
This makes sense. Thank you Dave! The most reasonable answer I got for this issue.
I am wandering why DA doesn't tell this when you buy the probe. They let you :headwally: for a while.

A lot of us have been wondering very similar things!