PDA

View Full Version : Starving for light or not?

TankStudy
09/04/2013, 02:01 PM
I have some rastas and they are on the sandbed in my nano. They appear to be mushroom headed or lumpy headed looking and swelling and hugging the base plug. One polyp out of 15 has formed a mace club in the last day. Skinny neck, large head.

I've read other posts and articles stating that a mushroom shaped polyp is a sign of too much light. The strange thing is though, 2 of the polyps which are about 0.5" lower are stretching for light. This is a small 1/2" wide coned like plug only. This makes me confused. Who do I listen too? I feel the ones stretching for the light are crying wolf.

I'm used to seeing zoa's/palys telling me when they need light by stretching up or hugging the creep. This time I'm not too sure whats going on.

I have 17 other zoa's paly on the floor with them. These are the only mushroom headed. There are a few other zoa's or palys indicating they have sufficient lighting or borderline to too much lighting with the base hugging but no swollen heads. They are hugging their creeps or have very short necks. No lumps or swollen mushroom heads, they are nice clean and flat. Only the rastas are displaying the plumpy heads and swollen lumps.

Solution: I am going to try moving them a little towards the outside of the nano to reduce the lighting.

Overall everyone else is happy including a brown hammer, green stylophora, purple tabling acro.

My current nano specs:
Biocube Skimmer
Rapid LED dimmable solderless, Running at 5%~: 4xRB,2xCW,1xUV (Plan on adding 1xRed,1xGreen,1xBlue)
Ecotech vortech MP10

Maintenance is usually a 10% water change once a week. I don't do anything other then that. I manually auto top off even though I have a brand new JBJ auto top off sitting next to it lol.

With my current lighting I feel the colors are a little drab. My rastas are a very dark green looking and most my other colors are dull as well. However, growth is exceptionally high. Based on my LED setup what could I do to spruce it up just a bit without adding too much light.

Any input would be nice.

terrypercula
09/04/2013, 04:51 PM
Well assuming water parameters are good...how long have they been in the tank for?

TankStudy
09/04/2013, 06:38 PM
They have been in this tank for 7 weeks.

A. Grandis
09/04/2013, 09:29 PM
I won't suggest you to change to T5 lights because many claim their tanks are great with LEDs, so this time...

I'll wait for the "LED people" to show up here.
Perhaps they could help you figure out what's going on.

I want to understand more about all that.

Tagging along...

Grandis.

650-IS350
09/04/2013, 10:14 PM
I came from PC to T8s' to T5s to MH/T5/LED to LED.

Happy now issues and love the NO HEAT and LOW monthly PG&E bill. I still get to have halide water shimmer. I can adjust my light rating by either bumping the white or blue more. I have both nobs turn all the way up. I don't run blue tanks

unchin
09/05/2013, 01:14 AM
I think a picture would help a lot. Never seen my Rastas do what yours are doing, but I have some pink zippers that are kind of doing that. I think you're right might be too much light.

TankStudy
09/05/2013, 08:58 AM
I've moved the rastas to a dimmer area and the clubbed-closed polyp is now looking sort of normal. Alot of the rastas have also started to flatten a bit out and lose the swollen polyp head look and lumps visible. I'm guessing it was a bit too much light.

We'll see how they look today.