PDA

View Full Version : Hermits eating coral frag?

LizardLou
09/04/2013, 09:31 PM
Ack! I got my very first coral frag today--it's a neon pineapple tree about 1/2". I acclimated it this morning and just now I looked in my tank and there were 4 hermits all over it! I knocked them off, but I have to sleep. Is it dying? Are they just jerks?

AZBigJohn
09/04/2013, 09:37 PM
They are probably cleaning algae and debris from around it. It often looks like they are eating the drag when they are really cleaning around it. If there is dead or damaged tissue, they might be eating that.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Spyderturbo007
09/05/2013, 06:36 AM
My hermits like to inspect everything new that I put in the tank. I swear, as soon as I put a new frag in the tank, they head straight for it and knock it over. :D

I would doubt they are eating the coral and are more likely picking things off the frag.

Keep a close eye on them and you might want to feed them if you don't think they are finding enough food in the tank.

LizardLou
09/05/2013, 09:00 AM
So it was on the bottom of the tank this morning, but upright at least. I guessed they surfed it down the rock. It looks fine though--actually even better than it did yesterday.

maddmaxx
09/05/2013, 02:17 PM
So it was on the bottom of the tank this morning, but upright at least. I guessed they surfed it down the rock. It looks fine though--actually even better than it did yesterday.

it looks better cause its a lil more adjusted to the new tank and new water. so this is normal. like others stated, really the only time hermits will actual eat corals if it was dying. then at that point they are just doin there job...