PDA

View Full Version : Aqueon Evolve 2 gal Pico Reef

Bex305
09/05/2013, 05:09 PM
Hello everyone !

So after leaving the hobby for about a year or so I recently got sucked back in and decided to give it another go at a Pico Reef. I picked up my buddy's evolve 2 gal with everything pictured for $20 I couldn't say no lol.
I currently have about 1/2" of sand about 2 pounds of live rock I plan on adding about another 2 pounds to finish my aquascape . Also have a small clean up crew 5 medium turbos and 4 hermits 2 red 2 blue legs . I'm currently running Purigen and plan on doing weekly water changes of 10-15%. I have a few upgrades planned such as the lights and stronger pump as well as adding chateo in one of the back compartments . As for the light I plan to go with the 8 W LED LIGHT BY SKKYE LIGHT. I'm adding a maxi jet 606 this weekend and Have planned to make a lid for the filter top that will house 3 small pc fans and some LEDS for the fuge .. I was looking for a skimmer but I can't seem to find anything that fits.. ANY SUGGESTIONS ??? Let me know what you guys think so far ..

Bex305
09/09/2013, 01:39 PM
Update: I added a ORA Hybrid Neon Goby and received a free green monti frag from a buddy . Goby is eating brine shrimp just fine will be switching to Mysis Shrimp soon. I'm also running Purigen in the tank .. This stuff is great !
Will be deciding on light soon ..

noobofthereef
09/09/2013, 02:31 PM
A skimmer wouldn't really be necessary on such a small tank. Water changes would suffice.

SavingOurSeas
09/24/2013, 04:19 AM
I'm currently caring for an 8 gallon as far as pico is concerned. I was gifted with a skimmer that's rated for a 30 gallon. I'm not so sure I would need a cleaner water. IMO it depends on what you're keeping that would be the judge of what hardware one wishes to add onto a system and the needed water quality.

Also, I might share a few photo's of the skimmer.

Do you plan on keeping additional livestock or have you completed your list?

terrypercula
09/24/2013, 06:07 AM
Most likely you won't need a skimmer. I'll be watching this thread always did like this tanks especially for $20 :thumbsup:

pkirby
09/25/2013, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't bother with a skimmer... a tank this size water changes should be more than capable of keeping things in check. you'll just need to be careful to keep parameters as close as possible with those water changes (temp/salinity/etc...)

If it were me I'd probably change 1/2 gallon twice per week. it wouldn't take but a couple minutes and would keep your calcium/alk/mag/etc all at good levels while keeping nitrate/phosphate as diluted as possible.

keep an eye on salinity, it can change quick in a tank this small...

SavingOurSeas
09/25/2013, 01:37 PM
... a tank this size water changes should be more than capable of keeping things in check.
If it were me I'd probably change 1/2 gallon twice per week...

I've read on others experiences with 100% WC's weekly or bi weekly.
What are your thoughts on this, since you suggest .5 gallon twice weekly.
Do you feel smaller more often is better VS larger less often?
If so, why?

terrypercula
09/25/2013, 04:33 PM
I don't know for a fact but IMO big water changes are stressful to a system even an established one. You're better off going with multiple small changes

pkirby
09/27/2013, 08:06 PM
my only concern with 100% WC is that there is higher chance of your parameters not matching. I have done back to back 50% changes with no ill effect though.

Assuming you match temperature/salinity/ph, you're probably fine to do 100% changes; however, if you change out 25% at a time and your parameters aren't exact... the dilution will help reduce any big swing.

I do believe that when your parameters are good, doing frequent small water changes is better than delayed larger water changes; however, if your parameters are out of wack and causing negative effects on your livestock... I personally will do larger changes to attempt to resolve the issue quickly.

Kentech5
09/27/2013, 08:19 PM
I do about a 1 gallon water change on my 2.5 gallon PICO twice a week. I've got mostly LPS in there with my secretive little green clown goby and my Pom Pom crabs. I do like the look of the evolves, I have an 8.

SavingOurSeas
09/28/2013, 11:20 AM
There is a thread on RC that shows a 1 gallon vase undergoing a 100% water change
minus 5%-10%, there is a deep sand bed. The one caring for it claims 6 plus years of this regiment and by the looks of the system it is in fact flourishing.
His argument (position) is when one changes 100% there is no (much less) room for error as far as improper parameters lurking within ones system.
I think I'll start a thread on this, I'm VERY curious as to what is the deepest most rock hard facts. Perhaps I'll find someone (an author) that has done an in depth study on such a subject.

brandon429
10/02/2013, 10:41 AM
cool thing about 100% water changes weekly on picos 2.5 and below... all tanks using less are short term and dont make it long, try and find one that is older than 3 years on a partial water change method and post back.
lots of ideas about what works best float around, but if it comes from short term tanks...
if you change partial amounts of water in a 2.5 gallon reef (tropical temp pico reefs) you will have near uncontrollable algae problems at 18 mos and conveniently 'upgrade' starting a new thread about an 8 gallon :)

there are no currently living long term pico reefs using a partial water change method. The only one to get remotely close is long gone, El Fabs 3 gallon pico which is a sticky at the top of the nanos forum at nano-reef.com

and that tank died 3 years ago.

Kentech5
10/07/2013, 12:44 AM
Good point. Mine just turned 5 months old. Find me again in 3 years and see how many times it has crashed.

dclownd
10/07/2013, 07:18 AM
Mine is 4 months old same exact tank only upgrade is i added a small hob to the side and a solar flare 115.

Just a note I do an 80% change once a week.