PDA

View Full Version : Video of my pistol shrimp and goby =)

Psittac
09/05/2013, 09:34 PM
Set the camera up and left the room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHn88zT4woA

I have since upgraded them to their own 29g tank so they have more room, should have moved them sooner but had a lot going on including a move to a new place so couldn't do it until I got settled in.

When I finally took him out of this tank and removed the rocks he was working under, he had an arched dome of every small pebble he could find inside his cave. I decided to get a substrate of mostly chips for his next home =)

J2T
09/06/2013, 06:17 PM
Love the planted tank look, really looks awesome.

However just a note about your comment on the video, I have three different goby/pistol pairs and they are all in with other fish and inverts and the only things the pistols ever eat/destroy are snails. While yes I have heard of some being holy terrors, that has not been the case with any of mine.

Psittac
09/06/2013, 07:31 PM
Love the planted tank look, really looks awesome.

However just a note about your comment on the video, I have three different goby/pistol pairs and they are all in with other fish and inverts and the only things the pistols ever eat/destroy are snails. While yes I have heard of some being holy terrors, that has not been the case with any of mine.

ok thanks that's good to know, now that it's in a 29g I want to put something else in the tank. Originaly I had him in a 25g and the only fish that died was one of the clown pair. Later I put a fire goby in the tank (fluval edge) and i'm almost certain he killed that because it was always hiding in his cave. But if you've had good luck i'll chaulk up the clown to a random death and put something in the tank and see how it goes, not something with an affinity to caves though.

robotman
09/08/2013, 09:50 PM
ok thanks that's good to know, now that it's in a 29g I want to put something else in the tank. Originaly I had him in a 25g and the only fish that died was one of the clown pair. Later I put a fire goby in the tank (fluval edge) and i'm almost certain he killed that because it was always hiding in his cave. But if you've had good luck i'll chaulk up the clown to a random death and put something in the tank and see how it goes, not something with an affinity to caves though.

i have 2 pairs in my 55 and theyre on opposite sides of the tank, they had caves next to each other, and then i heard popping and then the first pair pink spotted yellow pistol moved to the other side lol, because the introduced hi fin with a much larger candy cane(theres a small bristleworm that hangs out with them in their cave O_O)

coolest things to watch, i have seen the yellow pistol take a couple of nassarius snails

and ive seen the candy cane pop at the emerald or hermit crabs that come to close to the cave

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y481/robotman1337/gobiesweek6day2_zpsd0f36fa5.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/robotman1337/media/gobiesweek6day2_zpsd0f36fa5.jpg.html)

Psittac
09/09/2013, 08:06 PM
i have 2 pairs in my 55 and theyre on opposite sides of the tank, they had caves next to each other, and then i heard popping and then the first pair pink spotted yellow pistol moved to the other side lol, because the introduced hi fin with a much larger candy cane(theres a small bristleworm that hangs out with them in their cave O_O)

coolest things to watch, i have seen the yellow pistol take a couple of nassarius snails

and ive seen the candy cane pop at the emerald or hermit crabs that come to close to the cave

Lol that's epic. I love watching mine too but that yellow watchman is so cautious that I rarely get to see them. My pistol shrimp got tired of hermit crabs coming in his doorway so he wedged a small piece of dead coral in the middle of the doorway so they couldn't get in. Granted that version of his mansion got changed in the tank move, now that rock with a hole in it isn't his primary door.

Here is a pic of it:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4684/rb71.jpg

Gotta love those pistol shrimp and goby combinations, one of the coolest things I've witnessed in the hobby.

What do you think about having two gobies with one shrimp? I've thought of getting a second goby.

arnoldrew
09/10/2013, 08:50 AM
I have a pistol shrimp coming from liveaquaria today. I'm planning on getting a diamond goby. Will these two pair up or is it only with certain gobies?

Psittac
09/10/2013, 05:53 PM
I have a pistol shrimp coming from liveaquaria today. I'm planning on getting a diamond goby. Will these two pair up or is it only with certain gobies?

It's only certain gobies, not sure if a diamond is one of them. I know the watchmen work as well as others

arnoldrew
09/10/2013, 06:27 PM
It's only certain gobies, not sure if a diamond is one of them. I know the watchmen work as well as others

According to the people at the LFS, they won't pair up. Oh well. I like the diamonds, so I got one anyway. I guess my shrimp will be a loner.

Psicloner
09/10/2013, 07:43 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Nice looking tank

Nina51
09/13/2013, 08:48 AM
that is SO much fun to watch!! i got an orange spotted goby/pistol shrimp pair from liveaquaria several months ago. put them in the tank, have never seen the goby since.

Calappidae
10/12/2013, 11:59 AM

Usually anything titled "Shrimp goby", or "Watchman" is usually will pair, but you should always double check.. research research research

When I had my pistol shrimp, it didn't live with my YWG... instead my pom pom crab did :eek1: it just kicked my pistol out of her home.

That crab is lucky the shrimp didn't go after her..:uzi:

robotman
10/15/2013, 07:58 AM
Lol that's epic. I love watching mine too but that yellow watchman is so cautious that I rarely get to see them. My pistol shrimp got tired of hermit crabs coming in his doorway so he wedged a small piece of dead coral in the middle of the doorway so they couldn't get in. Granted that version of his mansion got changed in the tank move, now that rock with a hole in it isn't his primary door.

Here is a pic of it:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4684/rb71.jpg

Gotta love those pistol shrimp and goby combinations, one of the coolest things I've witnessed in the hobby.

What do you think about having two gobies with one shrimp? I've thought of getting a second goby.

ive heard of it happening, but ive heard the gobies killing each other, and then one time I heard 1 goby 2 shrimp, when the 2nd goby died the goby took over the other shrimp. Also heard of gobies stealing shrimp from other gobies if theres 2 goby 1 shrimp in the tank.

Calappidae
10/15/2013, 08:03 AM
ive heard of it happening, but ive heard the gobies killing each other, and then one time I heard 1 goby 2 shrimp, when the 2nd goby died the goby took over the other shrimp. Also heard of gobies stealing shrimp from other gobies if theres 2 goby 1 shrimp in the tank.

Mated goby pairs will live peacefully with the same shrimp. Mated pistol shrimp pairs will not host gobies then as they are not goby shrimp.